Mini Split opinion

I currently have a 3 ton Trane that is on it's last legs. We have 2 mini split systems in this house already, one just for our bedroom and one for an addition.

I am seriously thinking about ditching the ducted system and going for a 3 head mini split for the rest of the house. I would really like to get the duct work out of a 140 degree attic. This would also let me zone out the 2 bedrooms we seldom use.

This is an open plan with the living room dining area and kitchen all open. My thought was a compact cassette unit there and a wall head in the other 2 bedrooms. The cassette will accommodate a 4" duct for the master bath. That may need to be the 18KBTU model

Am I crazy?

gfretwell

Depends on how comfortable you want to be. I've never been in a house with "window units" that was really very comfortable. The other thing to keep in mind is whether those scattered mini units will really save you much money in operating costs IF you try for the same degree of comfort as a whole house system. And how will the noise levels compare, every non-central system I've seen is extremely noisy compared to a central system. I tried a 18,000 BTU unit in the one upstairs bedroom that was being used instead of the central upstairs AC unit for the whole upstairs. it cost nearly as much to run that one unit in the one room as it had been costing to cool the whole upstairs and it was noisier and not really as comfortable overall.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

You really did not do that right. A large unit like that needs a large space and good air circulation. In my last house. I did then entire downstairs with a 16,000, but it was fully open. Upstairs we had smaller room units.

Putting a large unit in a bedroom, you cannot get the proper air circulation even with a fan in the doorway. You'd have done much better with two smaller units.

Your point though, is a good one. Mini splits can be just as bad if not properly laid out. You can't beat a well designed central unit.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

What are "mini split systems"? What is a "3 head mini split"? What is a "compact cassette unit"? What is a "wall head"?

Reply to
pilgrim

I am not talking about a window shaker. These are mini splits and they are pretty quiet. (29-42 dB) They are 17-19 SEER so that compares favorably with a regular central system and if you get the ductwork out of the attic that could be a lot better. For me, the real saving would be the fact that I can zone out the rooms we seldom use.

I still value the opinion. If I was totally convinced I would not have asked. Thanks.

Reply to
gfretwell

I'd like to pose another question, as long as the topic is mini-split.

I may be looking at buying a house in a different location before too long. I'll probably be considering ranch-style homes only.

I've seen some that are otherwise nice, but don't have central air installed.

Some have hot water heat, oil or natural gas (latter preferred by me). No air ducts installed at all.

Given this type of home, and the work that would be involved installing the ducting for a central air system, is a mini-split type system easier to install? I would think so, but will it perform up to (or at least close to) the level of a central air system? How about reliability?

Thanks....

Reply to
John Albert

I think I miss-stated, it was a 12,000 BTU unit. I was just cooling the single bedroom, not the rest of the upstairs so the door was kept almost closed. I guess if people like the ambiance of the typical motel room with the unit stuck under the window clanking on and off, with poor circulation, esp to the bathroom, and the loud noise of the fan they might be happy with a non-central solution at home. It's certainly an option and in some cases might be the best one for a particular solution. Certainly for someone who is not home much, doesn't live where it's particularly hot, and doesn't need to cool a lot of space it might even be an excellent solution.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

That sounds better then I was picturing. I suppose a lot would depend on the aesthetics of the setup (if you care about that aspect). I know that little system I tried in the bedroom was pretty quiet but still alot more "disturbing" than the regular central system. Not sure how many db's though. Can you point to a webpage for what you are thinking of getting?

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

You are confusing a mint split with a PTAC. Different animal altogether.

Reply to
gfretwell

My central system is not all that wonderful anyway as far as noise. The air handler in a closet that backs up to the living room wall.

Reply to
gfretwell