mini-receptacles

Page 2 of 2
On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 22:38:54 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Two things trigger a polarized plug and they are;
Screw shell lamp holders, the shell has to be connected to the neutral. 2 pin lamps like the small series lights don't. Single pole switches, the switch must open the hot side, if the switch is 2 pole or no switch, you don't need a polarized plug.
On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 23:30:37 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

BUT - ALL outlets must be either polarized or 2 prong grounded. No ifs, ands or buts. Because nobody knows what someone will try to connect to it. Hasn't been a non-polarized / ungrounded receptacle approved for sale in North America for something well on over 10 years. Yes, you still find the occaisional non-approved Chi-junk products offered for sale - but less and less every year. Now it's just stuff that looks like it should/could pass inspection, with fake inspection stickers - - - - .
On Sun, 13 Oct 2013 14:24:46 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

If the receptacle rejects a polarized plug, (2 narrow slots) it is still legal.
Things that get inspected (permanently installed devices) will have the polarized spec, simply because that is all they sell.
As an inspector, I can not reject a listed non polarized 2 pin receptacle if it rejects polarized plug. U/L listings do not expire. You may still see these in remodels if the wiring was not updated to a grounding wiring method.
That is why they created the wider pin on the 1-15 plug in the first place, so the older non-polarized receptacle would reject them.
On Sun, 13 Oct 2013 14:44:07 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Which means the old listed stuff can still be sold, but virtually nothing non-polarized or non-grounded has been listed in the last 10 or more years. You are not seeing much old product still being made and sold - most of the old manufacturers are not building the old stuff, and a lot of the companies that made this sruff don't exixt any more.
On Sun, 13 Oct 2013 15:51:21 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

So it is not "illegal" it is just not always available. I guarantee you can still buy Christmas light strings with non polarized plugs and receptacles on the other end. Just l;ook at the ones that do not have screw shell lamp holders.

Because the ones they *do* sell work fine?
--

dadiOH

That's the key -- while it's fun to argue the semantics of what's legal/illegal, listed/non-listed, in the end, those old very skinny non-polarized plugs, while some may exist, simply aren't very common anymore -- virtually every one I can see in my house has the wide skirt, even if (like the laptop cord I just pulled out to check) the blades themselves are not polarized.
Nobody makes the old tight-pitch adapters because they wouldn't fit 95% of the cords in peoples' houses, so there simply isn't enough demand to make them, even if they are/were legal. They may also not want the liability of people trying to jam the new plugs into the narrow spacing, leaving the blades exposed.
Josh

No. Thanks. It's much bigger than what I meant.
DadiOH's whole images page didn't have one either, so I think they no longer sell them (and it seems they don't even remember them, since google images isn't just for stuff that's for sale now.)
Maybe I can get a camera and post a picture but until then, let me say that first, these are 2-prong sockets, non-polarized (2 of the 3 that I have)
the prongs are arranged like == and the total distance from the left end of the left slot to the right end of the right slot is only 1 3/8" for the smallest one, 1 5/8" for the one Mark posted a picture of, and 1 3/4 for the polarized one.