mini-receptacles

Page 1 of 2
They're not really call mini-receptacles.
I don't know what they are called, but i'm referring to the 3-in-1, "cube tap" receptacles that they used to sell that were very small, only about 2 inches long, which were designed to accept 3 plugs, rectangular plugs only 1/2 to 5/8" thick. If you plugged a big round plug in, even to the slot on the end, it would probably cover all 3 receptacles. I can't find an image of it, but nowadays the space allotted for plugs keeps growing and growing. This was the opposite. Do you know what I mean?
Do they still sell them, and if not, why not? Some "safety" reason?
Similarly the plugs that would fit them. Only 1/2 to 5/8' thick, but much wider of course. . I don't know if anything came with such a plug attached, but they were sold separately, and were needed if one had an outlet or receptacle and one wanted to fit 3 plugs in it.
Now, cords often come with rather small plugs on them, but at the end, the flat end with the prongs coming out, there is a baseboard or a flared skirt, that makes the plug 1/8" bigger all around. So that you often can't get two plugs in adjoining slots. What is the purpose of that extra width?
The plug on the left of this picture has a skirt like I mean: http://www.google.com/imgres?start 9&tbm=isch&tbnid=ojMbpbAhebpxDM:&imgrefurl=http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/2/Electrical/IndoorPowerCords.jsp&docid=qthfjFQ7kxszdM&imgurl=http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/CanadianTire/0522405_1%253F%2524medium%2524%2526defaultImage%253Dimage_na_EN&w 0&h0&eilVUs-MFO-u4AOryIHwBg&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:31,s:100,i:97&iact=rc&page&tbnh8&tbnw8&ndsp&tx5&tyƒ&biw52&bihd7 Also the plug in this picture has one. http://www.google.com/imgres?start 9&tbm=isch&tbnid=AOKlKQWciRIoRM:&imgrefurl=http://www.truevalue.com/mobileProduct/College-Life/Electrical-Tech-Stuff/Extension-Cords-Household/Extension-Cord-162-SPT-2-Polarized-Cube-Tap-Brown-15-Ft/pc/2604/c/2610/sc/440/20009.uts&docid=AtK8-oYPb0FWZM&itg=1&imgurl=http://www.truevalue.com/assets/product_images/styles/large/765693.jpg&w00&h00&ei lVUs-MFO-u4AOryIHwBg&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:30,s:100,i:94&iact=rc&page&tbnh7&tbnw4&ndsp&txb&ty8&biw52&bihd7
One could plug these things in more places if the edge were not there, of if one cut it off. Why is the edge there? Do they no longer think a 3-receptacle extension cord can really hold 3 plugs so close together?
Add pictures here
✖

Yes, they still sell them. As a Google search would have revealed.
https://www.google.com/search?q=cube+tap&biw 27&bihR7&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=n95VUoTmFpCA9gSYpICIAw&sqi=2&ved DIQsAQ
Here's one at Amazon
(Amazon.com product link shortened)

There are tons of different types/shapes of plugs. As to the "skirt", it might be an integral part of the structure and/or designed to help keep fingers off the prongs.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I hope you are able to post a photo, I can't imagine any much smaller than the one at Amazon, gotta have room for the prongs to go in from multiple sides.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 10/09/2013 11:58 AM, micky wrote:

Anything like the one in this picture? http://notstupid.us/include/picviewer.php/pix/IMG_4322

There's also the plastic protrusions that seem to have no purpose other than to limit the recepticle's usability. I often need to use 3-wire extension cords (most longer ones seem to be 3-wire) for use with holiday lights, which don't use the 3rd wire so there's really no problem connecting it to a 2-wire cord (other than the unwanted plastic bit).
--
76 days until The winter celebration (Wed 25 Dec, 2013 12:00:00 AM for 1
day).

I think he is talking about a regular wiring device with 3 1-15s on a single yoke that fits in a one gang box. I used to have one around here but I cannibalized it to get one of the receptacles for something I was making.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 16:22:01 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

No, sorry, not at all. I meant one that doesn't go into a box at all. Although I think they also had a one that went into a box and had 3 pairs of slots.

They don't sell those anymore either, do they?. If they were rated 15 amps, as mine are, why aren't they still sold?
Thanks
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com writes:

When I was a kid, we had a summer cottage that 5 two-blade outlets in a device that fit in a one gang box.
Only the small lamp cords would fit (without blocking one or more of the outlets), but they did exist.
Add pictures here
✖

That picture looks unpolarized.
Greg
Add pictures here
✖

And not CSA or OL approved, so technically not legal to sell.
I think they are called tri-taps.Or Triple Taps. Leviton makes 3 wire version part number 002-698 or 699, c22-00698-00w or 00i, 0r r51-00699-000
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 21:34:44 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

And Kroger carries a polarized 2 blade from GE - a 533 - see http://grocery.kroger.com/pd/GE/Polarized-Triple-Tap-Adapter-White/1-ct/043180580931/
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 21:54:37 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Thanks. That big is easy to get.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 21:34:44 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Thanks. If it's 3 wires, it wouldn't be small anymore.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 21:34:44 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I have one that's exactly like the one Mark posted and it's UL approved. Says so on the brown, woody plate in the back. Made by GE.

I hadn't heard those names before. Thanks. I guess they're not all cubes anymore.

Thanks. Much bigger than what I have.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 21:34:44 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Not legal? Please cite the law that requires UL or CSA approval for the sale of such a device.

Add pictures here
✖

Yes!!! Like that. I have one just like that. Thanks. Don't go googling but do you know if they still sell something this small.
I have one that's even smaller, with less space between the slots. This one has 5/16 *between* where plugs go. My other has about 3/15", so it's about 1/4" shorter.

Add pictures here
✖

What do you intend to use it for??? Why is the small size so important?
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 13:01:16 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I should have said that the smallest ones are not in the shape of a cube. Well, I did say this in another post. They are like the one Mark posted, except one is even 1/4" shorter.
Unfortunately I can't find that one now, but I did see it a week ago.

Nothing in particular at the moment, but if they don't sell them anymore, i have to conserve what I have, and I have pay attention at yard sales.
Plus I'm still curious why they *don't* sell them anymore.
Add pictures here
✖

Likely because they do not meet current requirements as per UL/CSA whatever - not polarized and only 2 prong are illegal - period.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 13:02:05 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That is not exactly true. As long as both slots are small so a polarized plug will not fit, they are legal. In fact there are also non polarized products out there with non polarized plugs. Look at a wall wart, some double insulated tools or a set of LED christmas lights.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 20:14:24 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Many LED Christmas lights ARE polarized. So are many lamps. Double insulated devices are the onlyones that can get away without polarized plugs and MOST wall warts fall into that category. More and more double insulated tools are also getting polarized plugs, at least here in Canada. It is legal to sell these load devices without polarized plugs, but at least in Canada there are no non-polarized 2 promg outlets that pass CSA standards or ULC (Underwriters Labs Canada) certification - and without one or the other they cannot be legally sold here. Don't know for sure about the USA, but suspect the same is true there.
Add pictures here
✖