mini fridge

i am planning on buying a mini fridge for my daughters dorm room and i am wondering if it's okay to transport one whilst lying down(sideways) so as to fit in my backseat. will this damage the unit in any way?
thanks cj

leave it vertical for a couple of days before plugging it in to let the oil settle out. sometimes the compressor will fall off it's mounts if it's not vertical, so yes, it's possible that it could be damaged in certain cases. i can't see yours from here, please hold it up higher.
charlie wrote:

http://www.walmart.com/GE-Compact-Refrigerator-Freezer/ip/10098025
on 12/3/2009 11:40 AM (ET) cj wrote the following:

I have the Haier 4.6 refrig/freezer on that page. I don't see why it can't be transported sitting upright on a seat. It is only 26" tall, 20" wide, and 19" inches deep. I've seen bigger people driving the car.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

It has to be wearing a seatbelt or you could be pulled over and cited.
TDD
cj wrote:

LouB wrote:

too much of a hassle...besides, she deserves a new fridge cj

ICJ... We bought that exact black fridge you showed in your link. I threw it in the car on it's side and I basically rolled it around getting the cardboard rippped off and out of it's packaging. I plugged it in right after getting it out of the crate. It hasn't been shut off in about 4 years and it works great. Maybe I was lucky ...but haven't had any problems with it. Jim

Advice we had from the manager/owner of refrigeration company was to have any fridge after being transported not upright, stand up for at 'least several hours' before operating. He wryly mentioned that over the years he'd got quite a lot of profitable 'warranty' work as a result of people buying a new fridge and transporting it home laying down in the back of a pickup! Then plugging it in right away! We figured he should know and have followed his advice. Since one often one does see fridges here being delivered or transported that way; upright, the word must be that is best? Terry. Eastern Canada. PS. Often thought about buying one of those ex-hotel (mini bar fridges) sometimes on the go here for around $60. (Around 40 quid?)
Some compressors, the oil gets into the piston. Good idea to leave it upright for a day before plugging it in.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
cj wrote:

I did see a solid state dorm room fridge at Wally World a while back that has no compressor. It uses the Peltier thermoelectric device like the portable coolers for 12VDC automotive use. You can transport those units upside down with no adverse effects.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
http://tinyurl.com/yfao9zl
TDD
cj wrote:

Van Chocstraw wrote:

I hope he doesn't drive like that!
You can transported on any side you want just don't go and started up as soon as you unloaded let it sit for couple hours strait up so that oil get chance to settle down in crankcase of compressor.