Min Height between range and Microwave hood?

So we bought a Microwave hood for the electric range.

Looked in the Manual and there does not seem to be a recommended distance between the top of the range and the bottom of the microwave hood.

Seems like I've seen a few at 17" though wanted to pass it by the Authority here...

Thanks!

Reply to
Scott Townsend

Scott Townsend wrote: ...

Way too low imo...that would barely let a large pot under. 24" would be my bare minimum---let's see, just went out and checked -- the one here is about 28" which seems, well, "ok"...if the app were for someone who was a "serious" chef-type, I'd guess even that might be restrictive on occasion, but for the average Joe/Jane, ought to be adequate...

HTH, $0.02, imo, etc., etc., ...

--

Reply to
dpb

Hi Scott,

I can't speak on behalf of the Authority, but I can tell you mine is a hair over 18 inches which I believe is the recommended height for my particular model (a Panasonic). I have a gas cook top and if one or more burners operate on high for an extended period of time, the exhaust fan automatically kicks on in "cool down" mode (i.e., at its highest setting) to presumably prevent heat damage; that suggests you'll want to maintain at least the minimum recommended separation.

Cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Eldridge

Just checked. Mine is 17" have not had any issues for many years and have used a large stock pot.

Reply to
Phisherman

More than just fire safety is at issue. Also need to consider how tall the cook is, and the airflow for the exhaust fan built into the micro. I'm 6'3", and have seen retrofits hung so low, that I would have to bend over to look in a pot on the back burner of the range. Sometimes the cabinet above stove has to be replaced with a shorter one (if that style is still available), or a hardwood shelf, trimmed and finished to match. (Or just write off that cabinet position, and fabricate a drywall or metal soffit above.) One of those things that is a judgment call, and you have to see the kitchen to decide.

But yeah, 24" is about as low as I would even think about going.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I just bought a smooth t Note: 24" min. when bottom of wood or metal cabinet is protected by not less than

1/4" flame retardant millboard covered with not less than No. 28 MSG sheet steel, 0.015" stainless steel, 0.024" aluminum or 0.020" copper. 30" min. clearance

I would look at your range manual for the installation section. Most will tell you what a safe situation is.

Reply to
Ken

RE:"if the app were for someone who was a "serious" chef-type "

Would a Serious type Chef use A Microwave hood fan for the stove? (-:

Thanks,

Reply to
Scott Townsend

Does this Apply to a Rental? Slumlord here I come...

So I think since there are a few others there with 17, I'll see what I can Squeeze in. Its an older cabinet unit and I really dont wan to have to re-work it to get a few more inches.

Thanks all...

Reply to
Scott Townsend

Probably not, but a "serious" one might.... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

I just redid my kitchen and I have the standard 18" backsplash, and my microhood is 20" above the stove

Reply to
Mikepier

My wife has canning cookers nearly that tall...

Whatever works for you...

$0.02, ymmv, etc., etc., ...

--

Reply to