Min circuit requirements for central vacuum motor in basement.

As the subject states, I'm re-doing a friends basement and need to relocate a central vac unit. It was connected to an outlet shared with the gas dryer. Are there any code requirements that require these central vac units need to be on their own circuit? I could not find any ratings on the unit to determine what the current draw is.

buy a clamp on ampmeter and check current draw for yourself. those meters are very handy to have.
Seperate circuit is always nice, I would go with 20 amp line

circuit.

I've got a 30 year old Beam as well, made of solid steel instead of plastic like most are these days.
On 3/4/2013 7:24 PM, Mikepier wrote:

If it's not a dedicated circuit, the vacuum isn't allowed to draw more than 50% of the circuit
On Mon, 4 Mar 2013 16:24:59 -0800 (PST), Mikepier

What does the nameplate say? It should have the FLA listed. Then multiply that by 125% and that is your ampacity. The owners manual should have the required circuit in the installation instructions,
On Mar 4, 8:56 pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

This is an old unit, can't find anything as far as FLA.
On Mon, 4 Mar 2013 18:33:29 -0800 (PST), Mikepier

On Mar 4, 10:28 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Filtex VSI Power cleaning system, similiar to this one. It does have a 5-15 plug on it. http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Filtex+VSi+power+cleaning+system&FORM =HDRSC2#viewtail&idh950B97AD7850DF91EDAB0EAAFEF3C9C050F7F5&selec tedIndex=0

still better to instal a 12 gauge wire, just in case someone decides to upgrade in the future.
IMHO its better to go all 20 amp breakers with 12 gauge wire it costs more but is more flexible in the future. Its like upgrading to a 200 amp main, when 100 will do......

I am installing 12 guage, but my question is does it need to be an outlet dedicated just for the vacuum?
On 3/5/2013 8:17 AM, Mikepier wrote:

circuit, it does
On 3/5/2013 6:31 AM, bob haller wrote:

That's what I have. It's on a 15 amp circuit and the outlet is shared by a 4hp air compressor. I never run the 2 together because I know what will happen. BTW, the circuit is also shared by the water heater which draws almost nothing ... just controls and an exhaust blower. However, if it is like the one you showed in a previous post and it has 2 motors, it will probably draw considerably more.
On Mon, 4 Mar 2013 18:33:29 -0800 (PST), Mikepier

What kind of plug is on it? If this is the factory plug and a 5-15, it will be OK on a 15a circuit according to U/L assuming this is listed.

Does it look anything anything like this one? I saw this at a estate sale. Earliest patent seems to be around 1917.
Cast iron body, cast iron piping. It's one heavy duty piece of equipment.
http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq121/DerbyDad03/photobucket-34700-1358016564183.jpg
http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq121/DerbyDad03/photobucket-34444-1358016512692.jpg
Made by the Spencer Turbine company. They are still in the business...big time.
http://www.spencerturbine.com/products/vacuum-cleaning-vacuum-systems/central-vacuum-systems/default.html
Mikepier wrote the following on 3/4/2013 7:24 PM (ET):

My Kenmore Central Vacuum is plugged into a standard 120 V wall outlet. It is protected by a 15 Amp Bryant breaker. The vacuum plate says 120 Volt, 60 Hz, 11 Amp. The power wire appears to be 12/3 Romex. It has been there since 1984 when I installed it and the only problem was a wearing out of the brushes and replacement (by me) a few years ago, as mentioned in another message.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY