Milwaukee = Ryobi?

The design may be different, but they are manufactured by the same Chinese factory.

Reluctantly, I'm taking Milwaukee off of my preferred list of tool makers. (It's getting pretty short!)

Sparky

Reply to
SparkyGuy

Not so...see

Suit yourself, but it's a shortsighted and uninformed choice.

Reply to
dpb

Er:

Quote:

Techtronic Industuries acquired the Milwaukee. brand and businesses in 2005

TTI (HQ'd in Hong Kong) _owns_ Milwaukee. And, AEG, Ryobi, Hoover and Dirt Devil.

Then from

Quote:

Milwaukee's power tool and accessories are also manufactured to its exacting standards in modern facilities in Europe and throughout the world.

I think "throughout the world" probably includes China.

As with most consumer products, there really are only a few companies making them. There's often quite a difference between the brands. Other times, none at all.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

And that may or may not matter. Just because it is made in China does not mean it is low quality.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

And from the link I previously posted -quote -

"Milwaukee is headquartered in Brookfield, Wisconsin, which is also home to research, new product development, manufacturing support, marketing, sales and information systems. It has modern production facilities in Greenwood, Jackson and Kosciusko, Mississippi; Blytheville, Arkansas and Matamoros, Mexico.

Milwaukee's power tool and accessories are also manufactured to its exacting standards in modern facilities in Europe and throughout the world. In 2001, the Milwaukee brand was launched in Australia by Milwaukee's sister company AEG, located in Winnenden, Germany and was re-launched in Europe and the rest of the world in 2002. ..."

I didn't say the were _only_ made in US, and, if you'll note the quote you posted includes the key world "also". It's pretty clear the products for SE Asia/Australia/etc. markets are produced outside the US and the European are at least partially produced there.

If you'll also look at the TTI web page you'll find a message that brand loyalty and identification is a key business strategy and that they have a very deliberate idea of marketing to the full range of customers and price ranges as an overall company and that all products are not designed for all markets.

Search for a thread only a few weeks ago where I posted a significant more detailed analysis in response to another poster's questions about Milwaukee. There's quite an interesting story in there as I learned while doing quite a bit of research a year or so ago in order to evaluate the company as investment opportunity/merit...they're not the ordinary stereotypical "Chinese startup" kind of outfit by any means despite having some production in China and Ryobi being their initial product...

Reply to
dpb

According to dpb :

You may be construing that I'm against tools made in China simply because they're made in China. Not so. They may be, or they may not, that really doesn't enter into my tool preferences.

It's by no means clear whether there is any regional affinity between manufacturing location and market. It simply doesn't say.

The reality is that companies strive for the cheapest possible manufacturing costs consistent with keeping/gaining market. "Milwaulkee" is an important name, so for long term viability they have to keep the quality that they're famous for. Which means "higher end" design (eg: more rugged tools by design), and good QA. They're going to pick the cheapest place to manufacture consistent with the QA. If they can maintain the desired QA in China, they're going to make it in China. Especially if they're Chinese. Anything else makes no business sense.

Further, manufacturing devices like this draws on all sorts of parts. Chances are that various parts are made by different companies in different countries, and assembly might be somewhere else entirely. Again, under the QA management they figure they want and can achieve.

I'd _prefer_ to buy locally manufactured stuff (which for me isn't the US), but if it doesn't meet my price-quality requirements, I won't.

I have tools that were made in China. And tools made just down the street by Lee Valley. I decide what I need/want vs price, and pick the best match. Sometimes a cheap crappy tool fits my needs better than a high priced high quality one.

I saw all of that, but, remember, manufacturing _location_ has relatively little bearing on any of it. China produces some very high quality stuff, as well as crap. Every country is like that.

Obviously. Neither is Rexon. Purchasing a company like Milwaulkee is an expensive proposition simply because of its brand. It would be stupid to buy Milwaulkee and then let its quality and reputation go down the toilet.

The fact that Milwaulkee is/is not made in China really doesn't matter to me. What matters is whether one of their tools is consistent with my needs/expectations. Unfortunately for Milwaulkee, I don't need any of those tools at the moment (and the B&D store where I bought my rebuilt Dewalts cheap is just around the corner ;-)

Reply to
Chris Lewis

No, I was just responding to what seemed like a claim that what I had posted was in error and an inferred attempt to indicate that there was no US manufacturing...if that wasn't the intent/purpose, ok.

It seems fair to me to assume that since Milwaukee built a large fraction of their tools for the US market in the US before the buyout and those facilities are still in operation that they're still producing for the US market in the US. While undoubtedly they're bringing in parts from all over for assembly, doesn't seem at logical to ship from overseas to the US and then back to, say, Australia when could build for that market much closer...

Reply to
dpb

According to dpb :

It may seem fair to assume, but the huge difference in labor costs often completely swamp transportation and/or retooling costs. If they can ship gluten that far, portable power tools is a no-brainer.

You have heard of outsourcing haven't you? :-(

Delta's bandsaws, for example, have been made in many different places over the years. At times by companies who produce clones to be sold as different brands on exactly the same lines.

The world tool market is a confusing place. Take a look at a Woodworking magazine tool review sometime and notice how many of the planers look identical except for minor differences in the plastic shells.

Hint: they were all made in the same place.

Good chance that TTI is selling "milwaulkee" in the far eastern market, except that the shell is a different color and the brand name is completely unpronounceable.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

On the other hand, if a manufacturer has an efficient manufacturing process, the difference in labor costs become much less significant. The best example of this (although it is not a tool company, the principle still applies) is Dell. The manufacture computers for country X in or near country X. Dells for the US market, for example, are made in the US. The cost of shipping a completed computer from Asia is more than the difference in labor costs between well paid US workers with full benefits, and prison labor in some 3rd world country.

It just doesn't matter if labor costs here are 10x labor costs there, when you only have a few minutes labor going into the product.

Reply to
Tim Smith

Dell "assembles" computers in the US made almost entirely from parts and sub-assemblies made in places like China, Korea and India, and then shipped to Dell.

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan

Not any more.

Reply to
Matt Barrow

That's nothing new, the same product with different names, Had an employee who worked in a battery factory before the war (WWII) whose line put 5 different labels on the same battery coming down the line. So we are looking at vintage '35 to '40.

Reply to
Glenn

You're thinking of Dell's support. They've moved that overseas. They still build the computers in or near the country they sell them. Note that support is almost all labor.

Reply to
Tim Smith

Well, I just looked at the Milwaukee 18V hammer-drill I bought quite some time ago -- well before the TTI buyout. Care to guess where it says it was manufactured? (Hint--surprised me no end). :)

I have another bought just last year, but for the moment it's unaccessible so can't go look until the truck it's in gets back for a comparison examination...

Reply to
dpb

Well, it's clear that what they're assembling and/or manufacturing in the US can't be cheaper to ship halfway 'round the world than locally. Now whether they can make the same product(s) cheaper enough somewhere else in the world and still ship them in is, of course, another analysis entirely. _ALL_ I'm saying is there are still Milwaukee manufacturing facilities in the US in contrast to OP's apparent contention/belief that the TTI takeover meant cheap stuff of the same production line w/ Ryobi.

That production is worldwide now and has been for some time is not in contention, at least by me. I know full well that York/Delta/several other in the woodworking tools are the _same_ tool simply branded w/ _perhaps_ some slightly differing features/amenities and if your're really lucky, a little better qc on a Delta as opposed to York. Doesn't have any real bearing on the original post (at least as I read it) and the response I've made...

Reply to
dpb

My Dell, bought in February, says "Made in China".

Reply to
Matt Barrow

Dell computers for the US market are made offshore.

The cost of shipping a completed computer from Asia is more

Reply to
George

Dell computers are made offshore (including the ones customized just for you). They bring them in large cargo containers and then the cargo company opens the container and ships the individual units that are already boxed for shipment.

Reply to
George

Is it a laptop? Laptops for Dell (and most of the other major vendors) are made by a handful of Asian companies, and then branded as Dell, HP, etc.

Reply to
Tim Smith

That's not possible in the time frame of placing an order and getting delivery in only a few days. AFAIK, they still are assembling components in the US although I'm not sure whether it's in Austin and longer. Seems like I heard the built a new facility not too long (Nashville, maybe???) but don't know if it replaced or augmented existing facility/(ies)...

For the other note, there is no "Made In" sticker on my (relatively new) tower other than the individual components inside, but nothing applicable to the box itself as a whole...

Reply to
dpb