Milwaukee or DeWalt Hand Drill?

Page 2 of 2

Got that right! A one-handed chuck is a must-have for me, just like the keyless chucks that first appeared twenty? years ago.
The Ranger wrote:

You may want to consider the Panasonic 15.6V. It did well in reviews. Alternately, the Ridgid cordless drills offer lifetime battery replacement if you register the tool with them.
Chris

Dewalt 18V. Admittedly I'm biased somewhat because I now buy all Dewalt 18V cordless tools for battery compatability but I have never had a problem.

The Panasonic has the best battery performance than any of the others as measured in Ah. If there is any drill that compares then I challenge you to post the link.
<...snipped...>

Would you rather have 1 amp per hour at 9.6 volts or 1 amp per hour at 18?

Neither. The 18V are a bit too hefty for my use, the 9.6 not enough at times. I have a 14.4 Ryobi (junk) and a 15.6 Panasonic. The weight to power ratio of the Panasonic is much better, has a better balance in use. YMMV.
The Ranger wrote:

As much of a freak I am about Milwaukee, their cordless stuff is pricey, and have never heard it is that much better
Bought the Ryobi set and 4 spare batteries for not much more than just the milwaukee drill
I have 4 corded Milwaukee tools and will keep them forever

My 12V DeWalt drill (actually the batteries, drill was fine) died after 6 yrs. I just couldnt see replacing the 2 Batts @ $ 50.00 each when I could get the whole kit for $ 100.00 (later on sale for $ 89) Grrr.
I looked into a DeWalt 18V and found a "OneOnly" last years model (new) one at HD for $ 199.00
I was walking to the cashier with it when I passed the DW replacement battery display and saw they were $ 60.00 EACH !
$ 120.00 for Two batteries when they die.. So,
I got a RYOBI 18V Drill alone (Model P220 3 spd w/hammer drill function) $ 49.97 2 Batts $ 39.00 (for both) Charger $ 19.97
Total less than $ 110.00 .....less than JUST the batteries for the DW 18.
BTW, I found a DW 12V on sale for $ 89 with a $ 30 rebate so my cost (finally) for the replacement DW12 Batts ended up being $ 59 for two and I have a SPARE 12V drill and charger. Ahhh, the games they play..

There's a reason for that. The Ryobi is not nearly as robust as top end drills, and I very much doubt that those batteries have equivalent capacities or lifetimes.
I understand that Ryobi periodically changes their battery interfacing, so, if you have to buy more, you may find that the new ones won't fit.
If you look around, you can find "aftermarket" Dewalt compatible batteries for much less than the Dewalt price. As I recall, I found one place selling 1.7AH 12V dewalt-compatibles for about $20 apiece, and they had higher capacity ones (at a higher price).
--
Chris Lewis,

They are lasting most of the day on the job right now

Theyre claiming "The One" (18V) standard system will be kept around for quite a while.. We'll see..at 20 bucks, if they were going to make the change, I'd buy a 6 pack..still cheaper than 2 deWalts

I just replaced My 8yo 14.4 Milwaukee(still works)with a new one.The old has seen lots of use and abuse on many jobs. I think the best advantage Dewalt has is they make a job radio with built-in charger,otherwise for the general price range I think Milwaukee has the edge.My faith in the brand started in the mid 80s when a Milw drywall gun(corded) outlasted the others We tried by far. I do'nt buy exclusively Milw tools but when I want something to perform daily for years it's the brand I try to go with.
On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 11:46:48 -0700, "The Ranger"

Milwaukee .... Never ever had a problem with any of their products...
I also own some Dewalt products ...and for the most part have been happy with them but when it comes to drlls I would go Milwaukee..
Just my opinion...
Bob G
On Apr 18, 11:46 am, "The Ranger" posted:

Black & Decker, Dewalt, & Porter Cable are owned by the same company & use many interchangeable parts.
Milwalkee, Ryobi, AEG, DreBo, Homelite and Hoover are all products of the same Chinese company. That should tell you where the Milwalkee reputation is headed.
KC

I know what you're implying but believe you're wrong. TTI, the parent of Milwaukee, etc., isn't really "Chinese" in the sense you're using it. It is actually based in Hong Kong which is night and day difference from mainland China despite the UK lease having reverted political control over the island. The two founders of TTI are a German and a Hong Kong native educated in UK (Warwick, no less), both with advanced degrees in engineering and/or business.
Milwaukee itself is still headquartered in Wisconsin and is also their R&D, manufacturing support, marketing, sales and information systems. Production facilities are in Greenwood, Jackson and Kosciusko, Mississippi; Blytheville, Arkansas and Matamoros, Mexico, for US products. For the products marketed directly in Europe or Asia/ Australia they also build the same products to the same standards overseas for those markets.
Ryobi pretty much also remains what it always was/is/is intended to be -- an entry-level low-priced mass-market-targeted product line. To confuse it and Milwaukee simply because of common ownership is mistaken analysis.
TTI did begin (in 1985) w/ production facilities in China and began manufacturing products for Sears in '87, then parlayed that into acquiring the Ryobi deal w/ HD, then the Ridgid licensing arrangement, ultimately working their way into the high-end market by the purchase of AEG and Milwaukee. I see nothing in their operation that indicates anything other than a desire to continue to succeed as an overall company and to continue to compete in all market niches. To do that will require maintaining the brand loyalty the acquired brands have achieved and that is a stated corporate mission.
(I happen to know most of this from research I did when considering whether investment was good idea or not a couple of years ago...)
HTH...
dpb wrote:

(snip)
I know what you're saying, and I hope you're right. But there's been too many cases to show that things go the other way. For example Black & Decker buying Dewalt, then using B&D parts in Dewalt products. Their quality has never been the same. And Delta buying Porter Cable and ruining the line for many years. I just shudder when I think of Milwalkee & Ryobi as sister companies under the same upper management, especially when cost cutting time comes.
KC

I don't know much of the history of B&D/DeWalt, but Delta didn't buy Porter Cable.
Rockwell bought both Delta and Porter Cable clear back in the 60s and sold all the tool manufacturing including Delta and P-C to Pentair in about 1980. What happened in 2000 or thereabouts was the merging of corporate offices of companies that have actually had consolidated ownership for over 40 years.

I didn't notice this previously...perhaps you're thinking of the period in roughly the 70s or so when a line of P-C branded consumer- grade tools were introduced that were, in fact, pretty much what one would expect from the name? Actually, that was during the Rockwell ownership period and had a goodly amount to do w/ the decision to rid themselves of the whole tool manufacturing portion of their business resulting in the sale to Pentair.
Lawrence wrote: <snip>

All of those links result in errors for me. I can see the specs for the Panasonic drill, but not the Milwaukee or Dewalt. I see that the Panasonic is using a NIMH battery pack, but I don't know about the other two. I suspect that they might be NiCd.
I'm wondering if you might be comparing NiMH battery powered drills with NiCd battery powered drills - that would be something of an apples/oranges comparison.
R, Tom Q.

Just about every workman I've ever seen using them has got a DeWalt. I have the 18V and its great.
The Ranger wrote:

Hmmm, Look at new seires of Bosch.