Milwaukee 14.4v cordless drill - which to buy?

Page 2 of 2
On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 03:06:18 +0000, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Yes, and there is a good reason for it, as I pointed out. The "good chargers" don't maintain charge and M&J indicated a trickle charge.
--
Keith

wrote in message

This reply is not just for you but ALL who say their cordless drills are wonderful.
I have one too, in a kit with a little circular and jig saw, flashlight, etc that all works on the same battery
But only use it when absolutely necessary, eg. working on a roof/ladder or crawling under a building when I only need to drill a few holes or make a small quick cut
Over the years I have worked with many who ALSO laughed at me for preferring "ancient technology" with extension cords.
And just about every day one of the cordless people would be asking for a loan of my corded drill. Usually as they ran out of batteries, and were lost.
Batteries go bad, don't always make a good connection in the charger, get dropped and break, or charger cords get kicked out of plugs and no one notices until its too late.
And sometimes on sites with lots of people walking around,.....batteries and chargers left unattended just vanish.
Nobody seems to care about taking my extension cord and scratched up metal casing drill, and if they try I'll know it right away
The ones who had batteries borrowed the corded drill as theirs just were not powerful enough to handle jobs.
Try drilling though concrete or 3' of wood with a cordless drill or any use where you will be using it for more than a few minutes steady. Those batteries just won't stand up.
Corded will still go until you can't hold it anymore or the drill is smoking.
When I go to a site where there is no power, I bring along a small generator. It powers the drill and anything else I need
While you keep running thousands of feet every hour or so to get a fresh batteries, all I need is within a few feet.
In closing to all who think cordless is a MUST.
What did you do 10 years ago ???
All tools have their pros and cons. The best thing for one person is not necessarily the best for all.
But again to the OP. If you have no drill yet, you will see that there are lots of opinions.
AMUN

I don't use my drill every day, nor do my neighbors or co workers. Does not apply.

As do many other tools. But we are talking home use, not a job site.

Agree. The right tool for the job, every time. I don't recall the last time I drilled concrete. I did put in a couple of anchors, maybe 5 years ago. Used my corded drill and is crapped out on me. I was, however, a home use type drill, not a pro drill.

Never had the need.

Never worked with my drill for hours at a time.

Exactly. The typical homeowner or hobbyist does not need generators and new batteries every hour. I go weeks between charges. I have two drills and have one set for drilling pilot holes, the other for screwing. Saves time changing back and forth.
You make good and valid points but your needs far exceed 95% of us.
wrote in message

Actually now that I am retired my drills get a lot more rest than they used to. But I still grab the odd job for spending money & something to do.
But many are arguing that a $300.00+ cordless drill setup is better than any corded one. If the OP is just going to use it once a month around the house to hang the occasional picture on drywall, you don't need much.
And even a $15.00 corded cheap B&D will suffice. Most homeowners will never be 50' from an outlet anyway, so the weedwacker extension cord they already have will serve their needs
But if someone just wants a cordless at any cost, by all means, take your money, buy what you want, and enjoy it.
AMUN
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I have one of the original Milwaukee 14.4 cordless drills. I use it almost every day...it's been busy these last few days. Not a hic-up for almost 5 years.... 1/2" variable speed with clutch. I'd do that again in a heart-beat.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:
[snip]
For real screw-driving on a serious level, try the Milwaukee 1/2" Close Quarters drill (Yup it has a tail).
Quite awkward at first, once you're used to it..nothing else will do.