Millipedes?

Are you on the U.S. east coast, by any chance?

Glad you asked the question, I'm suddenly having problem too, awaiting the responses. In the meantime, the best 'net source I found after a quick search is:

Banty

Reply to
Banty

Go to this and search on "millipedes". There's a lot of extraneous stuff on this site, sorry, but it does have a nice complete explanation.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

In article , snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net says... :) For the past few weeks, we have had millipedes come into the basement area :) of our house. They congregate on the bathroom floor, then curl up and die. :) We have tried to trace their path to see how they come in....no luck. How :) do we solve this problem? Thanks. :) :) :) They are more of an environmental issue...when I get calls on them this time of year is usually homes near undeveloped land..doesn't seem to matter if it is a field or woody area. We start to get day after day of

95+ degree weather and the populations get put on a migration. Same happens in the Fall when we start to get some heavy rains. Basically a residual around the entryways of the home and treating into the grass around the home will slow them down. Depending on the numbers on the move may determine if I get a call for a retreat. They will feed off of rotting wood so if there is a wood pile or stacked lumber or even an old stump near the home could be the source.
Reply to
Lar

There may be an application here for the party who wanted to keep dogs out of his yard. Tie one of these to a rock or board, and rub a bit of meat by it. Dog takes a crap, sniffs the meat, gets stuck, and goes home dragging the anchor, thus creating an aversive memory about that location. I wonder if this would work?

===========

almost every

(thick paper) with

fall. I've

hole in the edge

you want a way to

It has no poison in

insect-attracting properties.

and even a few fruit

That's the way I

them away from cats

stuck once.

Reply to
CWLee

For the past few weeks, we have had millipedes come into the basement area of our house. They congregate on the bathroom floor, then curl up and die. We have tried to trace their path to see how they come in....no luck. How do we solve this problem? Thanks.

Reply to
don h

If you'd like to avoid spraying chemicals around your house, I recommend using glue boards. Here in Virginia, you can find them at almost every grocery store. They are basically a piece of cardstock (thick paper) with one side coated with a clear, VERY sticky substance.

I use them for the crickets that flock to my garage every fall. I've captured two dozen on a single glue board before. Poke a hole in the edge of the glue board and tie a string through the hole, if you want a way to pick up the board after all of the bugs get stuck to it. It has no poison in it, but it does seem to have some kind of insect-attracting properties.

I've captured ants, a couple of mice, crickets, spiders and even a few fruit flies with them. Very effective and functionally simple. That's the way I like products to be.

By the way, these things are really sticky. Try to keep them away from cats or dogs. My dog doesn't bother them since he got his face stuck once.

Reply to
QB3

Is there a non-insecticide cure? It this something that the homeowner can just wait out while the migrations run their course?

Banty

Reply to
Banty

LOL! It'd sure teach the owner to wonder about letting the dog run free anymore. But I'd wonder about running afoul of animal cruelty laws for deliberately setting it up. Still, it'd be funny as hell.

Reply to
wkearney99

In article , Banty snipped-for-privacy@newsguy.com says... :) Is there a non-insecticide cure? It this something that the homeowner can just :) wait out while the migrations run their course? :) :) Banty :) Non chemical means will be cleaning up debris and harborage areas from the property...making sure the weather stripping around the entry doors are tight...caulk gaps...use plastic brillo type product on weep holes (not steel wool).

Reply to
Lar

I'm near DC, use glue boards and have both crickets and millipedes. The boards trap plenty of crickets but I've never seen a millipede on one. Not in three years of using them and having trapped PLENTY of crickets. I see the occasional spider, beetle and ant but as yet no millipedes on the traps. No idea why. Maybe whatever attracts the other insects doesn't work with millipedes or they learn to avoid it (losing a leg for a millipede ain't a big deal)

Reply to
wkearney99