Miller gun furnace -- how to adjust air mix

Can anyone tell me what I'm looking at when I move the baffle that regulates amount of air mixing with fuel to burn in Miller gun furnace? How high the flame through the look-see hole, etc. Don't know what I'm looking at? Or smelling? Running OK but . . . .

Thanks for anything.

Dennis

Reply to
Dennis

Thanks. I've been keeping this old burner going for almost 30 years. Moved it once, moved and replaced the fuel line several times. Replaced nozzles, adjusted ignitors, etc. Thing just hums along, but I feel a need to do something more precise as you suggest, and also to a general safety check, firebox, etc.. The very few times I have had a pro come in, not a one of them ever used an analyzer. One of them told me just look in the peep hole and adjust so that top of flame just flicks into sight. So I should call to have someone come specifically for that purpose -- i.e., analyze combustion. Anything else I missed?

Thanks much.

Reply to
Dennis

Nowadays, with fuel being so expensive, don't you want to get the most heat for each dollars spent?

Get someone out that know how to do it right with an electronic analyzer.

Reply to
HeatMan

Will do. Thanks guys.

Reply to
Dennis

Hi Dennis, hope you are having a nice day

On 29-Jan-04 At About 00:25:07, Dennis wrote to All Subject: Miller gun furnace -- how to adjust air mix

D> From: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Dennis)

D> Can anyone tell me what I'm looking at when I move the baffle that D> regulates amount of air mixing with fuel to burn in Miller gun D> furnace? How high the flame through the look-see hole, etc. Don't D> know what I'm looking at? Or smelling? Running OK but . . . .

This is not something that should be attempted without the proper tools. it takes a combustion analyzer to properly set up a burner.

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2