miles of old copper wire

Page 2 of 2
" snipped-for-privacy@wdeans.com" wrote: ....

That's what I'd do...I really don't know what a salvage price for copper is these days--I know even w/ higher steel prices it rarely even pays the gas bill for the old truck to haul trash metal here, even if it is pretty clean and high-density stuff (angle,etc., as opposed to sheet).
If you have as much as you say, copper might at least pay to haul it off...
The recycler here ships the insulated wire in bulk to China where it is hand stripped by slaves working for a bowl of rice per day. Ditto for shot electric motors, "dirty" brass and the like. It's worth taking if you are going to that part of town anyway. There are a couple of Mexican scrap dealers here (southwestern U.S.) who will haul it away for free, to just be rid of it with little hassle. If it is in good shape, see if there is a local appliance repair or independant electrician that can use it as is, trade for money or repairs.-Jitney
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I'm sure it has a lot to do w/ the size of the area and proximity to other major population centers where there are facilities to process it. Out here, it's so far to anywhere and a (relatively) sparsely populated area, transportation costs and small volumes just make it non-cost-effective, hence no real market.
snipped-for-privacy@wdeans.com wrote:

Subject: burning the insulation off. I have a full barrel of cleaned (i.e., no insulation) that I stripped out of my house when rewireing. I did it by burning it off in my burn barrel when burning trash. I wouldn't do it today as back then burn barrels were legal, they aren't now and the insulation burns with dense, stinky, very black smoke. It is a big fine to be caught just using a burn barrel and even bigger trouble for burning hazardous waste - insulation is classified as hazardous when burned.
Harry K
Greetings,
I have a very small incinerator in one of my garages. Whenever I go I load it up with old boots / shingles / etc. and light it up. I have never had any problem with the law or told that I cannot use it. I imagine I could transport the wire to the garage and burn the insulation off a little at a time each trip. It is just rapidly becoming a lot more trouble than it is worth. I also already have more to burn in my little incenerator than I make trips to the garage. It's a five unit and I am normally there once or twice per month to collect rent. I maintain one of the units for my own use and store the trash there along with low cost construction supplies (like old single pane windows saved for the glass plates, removed doors that could be reused, a couple thousand salvaged bricks, etc).
William
Why don't you have a garage sale there?-Jitney
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Greetings,
New bricks are normally not cheaper than 3/$1.00. I will go through my 2000 bricks quickly as it takes 100-200 bricks to brick up a single window. I doubt someone is going to come by my garage sale and give me $650.00 for them. The same goes for most of the other things that I store. I am losing rent on the storage area but I would need some storage space no matter what. The incremental value of the additional space doesn't cost me much.
Hope this helps, William
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Greetings,
New bricks are normally not cheaper than 3/$1.00. I will go through my 2000 bricks quickly as it takes 100-200 bricks to brick up a single window. I doubt someone is going to come by my garage sale and give me $650.00 for them. The same goes for most of the other things that I store. I am losing rent on the storage area but I would need some storage space no matter what. The incremental value of the additional space doesn't cost me much.
Hope this helps, William
snipped-for-privacy@wdeans.com wrote:

Sounds like my shed :). I did the same until I wised up and made a trip to the dump with all the old wood single pane sash windows that I had saved from 2 demo houses. I do still have some of the panes saving them (and using them) for shaving handles in my splitting malls and other uses. Hadn't used one pane of glass in 20 years. Won't mention the other ?valuable? stuff I still have in there.
Harry K
On 17 Aug 2005 07:20:39 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@wdeans.com"

=======================Lol... My sons are HVAC installers... Installing copper line sets setting units etc.... They save their scraps and left overs and sell that scrap to a local "scrap" dealer every year for Christmas money...
They pocket close to $1000.00 bucks a year... is it worth the effort? thats up to you...
Bob G.
"Bob G." wrote:

Solid copper will probably bring 5x that of small romex/insulated wire at the scrap dealers plus it's a whole lot simpler to haul in that scrap in a barrel or two as opposed to the whole truckload of old wire...
When I was out of work at the end of high school I worked out a deal with an electrician buddy. He'd bring home scrap wire, 14 AWG romex 00 or what ever, and I'd strip it and run it down to the recycle yard. We split the proceeds and it got us gas and beer money for the weekends. If I was out of work now I'd do it again :). If he'd have just turned it in himself with the insulation on it he would have gotten less for it than the 50% he got by me stripping it. Turned out to be a good deal all around.