Mildew smell from attic

The roof doesn't leak but the rain hasn't let up this summer and there is a mildew smell coming from a crawlspace attic--the trapdoor. Do we have to get someone to remove the insulation? Also what about opening the attic up when we have dry weather? And if it starts to dry up a bit in the fall would the mold dry up? I didn't want to allow the mold to waft even more by opening the trap.

Opinions on ozonating the house? I am referring to a one time service. The house is ozonated to a high level which kills all bacteria, mold etc. Pets, plants and people must stay away until the ozone level is safe for living creatures.

Thanks for replies. Tummeric

Reply to
Tummeric

I think you have to find out exactly *what* is fostering mildew growth. Otherwise, it will just keep coming back.

Wear a good respirator mask and go up there and inspect. Better yet, do it during a rainstorm. You might be surprised to find small leaks which don't actually appear in the living space. Take up some insulation and look for mildew evidence as well.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Ozone a house , sounds like a scam, what co does that,

Reply to
mark Ransley

Sometimes you need to be a detective to find out the location of the water or leak. Nobody likes to crawl around in an attic space, but that's probably what it takes to solve the mildew problem. Don't let it go too long.

Reply to
Phisherman