mildew resistant kitchen sink?

My 20-year old ceramic (porcelain?) kitchen sink tends to grow mildew if left alone for a few days. The mildew prefers to grow in the scratch marks at the bottom of the sink.
Also, the bottom of my sink is flat, so some water tend to remain there for a long time.
Would a new sink be more immune to mildew? What about metal sink? Are there kitchen sinks made with a gentle slope at the bottom such that water would roll off but dishes can stay put?

You could replace your old procelain sink with a new stainless steel sink.Very durable.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

It will still grow mildew, though, unless he can get it mounted to completely drain. The cheapest fix is to get a squeegee for the sink.

If my stainless sink is empty of dishes or other paraphernalia, it drains completely, and is dry within an hour. How hard is it to pick out a sink with enough slope in the design, and then install it level? There are these new tools I've heard about - sort of a ruler with tubes of liquid in them. You center the bubble.....
On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 16:17:32 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

If he does that, he won't have trouble with the ceramic sink, either.

There *are* crappy sinks with little or no slope. And, if the ceramic surface is worn, the water won't roll off as completely as with a smooth surface. That's probably his problem at the moment.

Those are called Levels. I have been thinking of getting me one.

Stainless steel is what you want, and a good one, not a $59 piece of crap. All decent sinks are sloped a bit. If you find a sink that is not sloped, then it's not a good sink and you don't buy it. It's as simple as that. There are other quality criteria, which you'll learn when you visit a local plumbing supply store (not a Home Depot or Lowe's). Even with a perfect sink, it's still possible to grow mildew under certain conditions, but all those conditions are obvious, and within your control to eliminate.
I agree with the posters that state your sink has to drain completely of water to avoid the mildew buildup to begin with. While I cannot offer a solution to the sink drainage situation, I can give you 2 interim solutions to mildew - if you have a kitchen window above the sink - open the shades/curtains to let the direct sunlight in. Or, if you don't mind the temporary smell, put some vinegar in a spray bottle and spritz the bottom of the sink a few times. The acid in vinegar kills existing mold & mildew (might need a toothbrush to clean the crevices) -- and prevents future growth (if applied regularly) without using any caustic chemicals around food/dishes.
peter wrote:

peter wrote:

mildew. Clean with bleach once in a while and just wipe out excess water when finished doing dishes or whatever. Time for a new one :o)

the air circulation or even a small fan will stop the growth. If there is mildew in your sink it may be growing in other places. Bleach will kill it and wiping the sink with a weak solution of (20 Mule Team) Borax will help prevent mildew. Make sure your faucet is not dripping and dry your sink at the end of the day.

Since there's scratches in the porcelain,the sink is due for replacement anyways. I doubt tub/tile "refinishing" paint would hold up with silverware,dishes and pans being banged around in the sink.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

If it were mine, I'd use bleach at first to rid the sink of mildew, then after it's dry, I'd wax it (so the water beads better) and then every couple of days I'd spray vinegar on the sink to keep the mildew away. You may have to apply the wax every month or two tho.
On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 15:05:30 -0500, rob wrote:

I think he needs to re-level the countertop. The house is sinking. That's why the sink doesn't drain dry.