Mildew resistant caulk

Kill the mold first with bleach and clean before you caulk. Mold grows where conditions are right, no caulk can cure that. Use bleach when mold starts, not when it is to late and caulk is ruined

Reply to
m Ransley

I am looking for suggestions about brand/type of caulk to maximize mildew resistance.

The question arises because the last time I caulked my shower, I used a siliconized acrylic "bath and shower" caulk, with a mildew resisting additive. However, despite wiping down the area after showering, it has experienced terrible mildewing problems. I am going to remove it and replace with some new caulk. If the pure silicone caulks are better as regards mildew, I would use one of them, even though they are much harder to work with than the acrylics ("latex"). However, if someone can recommend a latex caulk brand with good mildew resistance, I'd be very interested.

Thanks,

Reply to
Michael.Lacy.junk

I agree with killing the mold first. Google previous threads about doing it right. My experience is that GE silicone I is the only caulk that resists mildew. GOing on 3 years now. GE silicone II lasted 1 year. Siliconized Acrylic lasted 4 months.

If you have grout, make sure you seal it as a last step. Otherwise water will get back behind the caulk to start the mildew all over again.

Reply to
Jmagerl

I rigorously observed these procedures when I last caulked, which was after a completely new installation of the tub wall. So, the only variable left to me is the brand/type of caulk.

Regards,

Reply to
Michael.Lacy.junk

They do vary unfortunately Consumer Reports hasn't tested for a long time.

Reply to
Art

Im sure caulks do vary, but try keeping a spray bottle with a 50-50 mixture of bleach in the bathroom, spray at the first sign of mold, once it starts to grow it destroys the bonding of many products even tile grout. Ive seen bathroom tile enclosures ruined , making replacing tile mandatory because tennants did not take this simple step.

Reply to
m Ransley

----------------- You're not the only one in this boat. The claims of mildew resistance, in my experience, is wishful thinking on the Mfg.'s part.

What I know do is I keep a spray bottle of 10:1 bleach (10 oz water to

1 oz bleach) by the tub. After I get out, a give a couple of quick mists around the caulk lines. Been good for 2 years now.
Reply to
Abe