Mildew on furniture

We have some cloth covered furniture in a spare room that was covered up for a few years. I removed the covers and it has a few light brown spots - I assume that's mold or mildew. Has a slight musty smell. The spots are only on one side of the cushion, so I'm thinking of getting the cleaned and flipping them over. Maybe put a slip cover if stains can't be removed.
Anyway, short of sending them to the cleaners, I have read that washing with vinegar and then leaving them in direct sunlight is good.
I was also thinking of renting a steam cleaner.
Anyone have experience with cleaning mold off furniture like this?
Ralph West wrote, on Sun, 21 Dec 2014 07:12:58 -0800:

Mold is mold. They are organisms that grow. They need cool, moist conditions, and something to eat. They also spread kabillions of spores.
So, if you still have: a. Moist cool conditions, and, kabillions of spores, b. Then, you won't get rid of the mold.
Sure, you can clean the mold off, using anything (soap and water would work as well as vinegar I would think).
But you have to keep the mold off, knowing full well that the room is filled with kabillions of spores already.
For that, you have to remove the moisture (mostly) as you can't do much about the cool conditions.

Personally if it's just on the cushions, i would have them dry cleaned. Washing them could shrink the fabric or fray the fabric edges which would weaken the seams. You could try spot cleaning as Oren suggested and see if it works. Check the foam core when you take the cover off and see if its the source of the mildew

Thanks, Danny. Moisture problem is taken care of. I was thinking there might be something better for mold and easy on fabric.
On 12/21/2014 6:24 PM, Ralph West wrote:

DAGS? Either vinegar or bleach.
That, or Gulf-Lite.
On Sunday, December 21, 2014 9:13:42 AM UTC-6, Ralph West wrote:

for a few years. I removed the covers and it has a few light brown spots - I assume that's mold or mildew. Has a slight musty smell. The spots are only on one side of the cushion, so I'm thinking of getting the cleaned and flipping them over. Maybe put a slip cover if stains can't be removed.

ith vinegar and then leaving them in direct sunlight is good.

If the cushions are nylon or polyester you might try removing them and laun dering or dry cleaning. If the mold is in the stuffing it probably should b e replaced. It used to be that mildewcides were not approved for use on fab rics but now some are. Try a local janitorial supply distributor.

There is Odoban that works. Citrus or eucalyptus. I never tried it on fabric, but used some on rugs. Might leave too much scent, but kills mold and germs near 100%. As far a stains, you have to experiment. I tried removing mold stains on a towel, and didn't have much luck, without using a whole bunch of chlorox. Oxiclean didn't remove the stains, but should kill anything.
I just bought a portable fabric cleaner at a discount store today, Hoover I think. $40. I'm not going to remove mold, but it's what you want if your going to try cleaning furniture. Says remanufactured.
Greg
'Stormin Mormon[_10_ Wrote: > ;3324283']

Please don't use bleach on furniture upholstery. You're likely to end up with white spots wherever you cleaned with bleach.
--
nestork

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdDRzmR62fc

<BG>
On 12/21/2014 10:12 AM, Ralph West wrote:

What kind of fabric? Any washing instructions on label? What color?