Might be a Good Thing ...

That my repeated efforts to douse the fire in my woodstove this morning failed . We got unexpected temps in the upper 60's overnight with this storm , and it was up to 85? in the living room , so I squirted water on the fire trying to put it out . Several times . I finally gave up , even though it was still going a little . I didn't want to get it so wet in there that I'd have problems getting a fire going tonight . Well , now it's starting to cool off , and I've just added some wood to the small glowing embers that were still there . If I've got my timing right it'll be going good when heat is needed ... and not before . It's always a balancing act with this stove when temps are between 40? and 60? , it's rated for a much larger space than we currently have . That's about to change ... if the weather ever relents and lets me finish the cellar walls (cement block) . It'll be interesting to see what the official rainfall for the last few days is , my estimate is over 3" , closer to 4" . There's that much in the open cells of my partially-completed block walls .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

We have a nice wood stove in the back of our house, too. When we first got this one I'd end up making the fires too hot, but after getting used to it I can start a fire pretty quickly, and regulate it with the flu. It heats up and maintains the warm temps so well that we only use it when outside temps get into the 30's for longer than a few days.

Reply to
Muggles

No argument, you do know how to start fires.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Why the attack ? Seems that you just can't leave certain people alone whether they be a troll or not when they post an on topic response . I haven't seen anything posted by "Muggles" that is deserving of this kind of treatment . If there was a problem in another group why not just leave it there unless it becomes a problem here - instead of forcing it to become a problem here with your sniping .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Well apparently you don't , so why did you bother to respond ? Have a bad day at the sewage plant ? Wife cut you off ? Or are you just a common run-of-th-mill prick that has to constantly stir up shit ?

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Terry Coombs wrote: ...

hope it stays warm enough long enough to get the mortar cured properly.

do you get frozen weather there?

good luck getting it done!

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Yes , and we're looking at a hard freeze this weekend . Lovely , just lovely , this weather doesn't usually hit until mid-December . So much for "global warming" .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Up here in Ontario we are having Sept/Oct weather - warmer here than in Pheonix on Monday.- High teens C (70-ish in F) with only one hard frost do far.

Reply to
clare