Miele Vacuum Overheated - How Damaged is the Motor?

We had a cleaning crew come in and they used our Miele Flamenco II vacuum. Apparently, it never crossed their mind to change the bag, so when it became overfull the vacuum overheated and shut down. They brought me the stuffed bag and asked me to change it for them. As I was doing so, I noticed the vacuum was really, really hot and there was a burnt plastic smell. When I got the new bag and filters in and hit the power button - nothing. I assume some thermal breaker had cut off power to the motor.

A half hour later I tried again and it did kick on and suction seemed ok. However, on shut off not only does the blower spinning sound ramp down, but also the motor now whines as it spins down - something I am certain it did not do before.

I am concerned that the event has done heat damage to the motor or nearby plastic/rubber parts resulting in a shortening of the lifespan of the motor and possibly creating a fire hazard. Are my concerns misplaced? Should I replace the motor?

Thanks,

JJC

Reply to
JJC

Dunno about the vacs (try locally?) but sure sounds like bad bearing(s).

HTH, J

Reply to
barry

So why didn`t you give them a vac with a New bag, they are surely not going to know your Miely bugs vac specs and charicteristics. Id say you lost its not their fault. And im sure thats where you are going with this , vac BS. Pay the man he cleaned, with your BS vac . Next time make them use their own Vac

Reply to
m Ransley

The vac had an empty bag. It has an indicator that says when its full. It stops sucking stuff odd the floor when its full. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to use a friggin vacuum.

They got paid for their work. I asked whether I needed to replace the motor before the thing melts something else. If the motor needs replacing, I'd rather do it now before it fails.

You want to accuse me of some other crap, be a man and say it. Otherwise, keep your comments useful - which they weren't.

Reply to
JJC

Thanks - maybe I'll take it apart and see if I can re-lube or replace the bearings. Might just be cheaper/faster to replace the motor...found them online for $120.

Thanks,

JJC

Reply to
JJC

Try locating a local vacuum repair shop if you don't want to do it.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

Like anybody here can see , hear, or actualy knows whats going on with your Vac, or cares, take your meil to a repair shop. but as I said , your post is very suspicious. of truth

Reply to
m Ransley