Miele vacuum cleaner hose repair?

Anyone know if it is possible to take the hose out of a Miele vacuum cleane= r please? Mine has developed a hole in the flexible plastic at the very end= . If it can be taken out, I could just shave a few rings off and re-positi= on it. The new hose costs nearly as much as the whole unit used. =20

The flexible part at either end seems to come out of the connection piece(s= ) for some reason but I cant find just the flexible part.(There doesnt seem= to be a generic part available)

Reply to
Amanda Ripanykhazova

The answer is always wd-40 or duct tape.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

ner please? Mine has developed a hole in the flexible plastic at the very e= nd. =A0If it can be taken out, I could just shave a few rings off and re-po= sition it. =A0The new hose costs nearly as much as the whole unit used.

(s) for some reason but I cant find just the flexible part.(There doesnt se= em to be a generic part available)

Since it is under a vacuum, duct tape placed on the outside of the hose should adhere quite well. It is reasonably flexible, but you might have to replace it every year or so as it will gradually lose it stickiness over time. Duct tape comes in a couple of colors so you might be able to make a good-looking repair.

Reply to
hrhofmann

It's probably glued in. And, a generous layer of clear silicone caulk will probably seal for a while.

.

The flexible part at either end seems to come out of the connection piece(s) for some reason but I cant find just the flexible part.(There doesnt seem to be a generic part available)

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Have you checked Miele's website for a parts/service manual?

Reply to
Harry Johnson

Attribution corrected.

Have you checked Miele's website for a parts/service manual?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yes, I figured that duct tape was going to be the ad hoc way of doing it bu= t was worried that after a while this method on anything flexible will star= t leaving a sticky fraying mess.

I was baffled by why the flexible bit does separate from the two end-pieces= . Turns out that although the assembly is available all over the place for= a high price, the hose itself has a part number (5230830) and is "only" $5=

  1. I think I will try the duct tape method firstly and then see if it becomes = available for any less than that before the tape starts attracting more dir= t than the unit picks up! The problem is that holes have started to appear= in it BECAUSE the plastic has probably hardened a bit and I would imagine = more holes will start to appear in short order.

Reply to
Amanda Ripanykhazova

I havn't personally tried it, but first aid tape may work better than duct tape. The wide sports tape, I see it at Dollar Tree. Might be more flexible.

You're right, fifty bucks is a bit pricey, for a hose that will probably crack in a few years. Fortunately, most household vac are only used briefly, and then back in the closet. Not like Miss Manners will stop by the house, and ask to view your vacuum cleaner for national survey.

.

I was baffled by why the flexible bit does separate from the two end-pieces. Turns out that although the assembly is available all over the place for a high price, the hose itself has a part number (5230830) and is "only" $50.

[...]

Planned obsolescence. I'm old enough to remember the hoses on my mother's and grandmother's vacuums. They were closely woven cloth that did not seem to let either air or dust through the walls of the hose. I think some of them were more than 25 years old when the vacuums finally "died" and were discarded; but the hoses were entirely intact.

Reply to
Peter

With all the Republican calls I've been getting lately, why not just use the trunk from a Republican elephant for your vacuum.

Reply to
ed-gaylord3

They only work until the election. And, then they go soft.

.

With all the Republican calls I've been getting lately, why not just use the trunk from a Republican elephant for your vacuum.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yeah, well I carefully applied lots of duct tape over the undulations on the hose. It lasted precisely one day of use before the bending of the hose BY the plastic end-piece opened the hole up again!

Reply to
Amanda Ripanykhazova

Did you try first aid tape? I'd expect the same result.

Sorry that didn't work, for you.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yes, it is the bending of the hose by the plastic end piece which has cause= d the hole so there really isnt anywhere the tape can 'catch' and hold long= enough. I am a bit surprised that a company as good as Miele would have pr= oduced something as badly strengthened as this?

Reply to
Amanda Ripanykhazova

wah hahahahahaha... the donkey approach is a lot easier (we watched that the past 8 years) and Republicans get soft as said. waha hahahahhaha

Reply to
davidf44