Miele Cannister Vacuum Has No Power

My Miele Canister Vacuum (S 251i Flamenco II) suddenly stopped functioning. There is no power at all. I looked both in the manual and online to see if there any reference to a fuse that has to be replaced. There was no mention of a fuse. I opened the cover and saw that the connections were intact (those that I could view). We really like this unit. Is it time to buy a new one or can this be rescued.

Reply to
bassman

Hi, Usually motors have a thermal protector resettable pop type breaker. Some times it's imbedded inside motor winding or some times it's on the body of motor which is accessible. Imbedded type will reset when motor cools off itself, accessible ones you can push to reset. I wonder if your motor over heated by jamming or whatever reason. If you have a simple multi-meter, you can use it for trouble-shooting.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Bass,

Do you own a volt meter? Are you handy? It might need a new power cord or just a new plug. It might need new brushes in the motor. You could be plugged into a "bad" outlet. If you are not comfortable disassembling and testing then look into getting another vacuum cleaner. Pawn shops sell these and they are common at yard sales.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

Use a voltmeter at the motor or any point inside, most likely its a bad cord or just the plug. I would bet on the plug.

Reply to
m Ransley

An open conductor, a bad switch, a defective connector, worn motor brushes, open motor winding are all options that come to mind. A simple volt-ohmmeter properly applied would settle the matter in a few minutes.

Reply to
John McGaw

Thanks for all the replies, Given that I am not electrically handy, I do not own a volt meter. It seems to be the general consensus that I start there. By the way, the vacuum has had days to cool off so that must not be the current problem. Thanks all!

Reply to
bassman