Microwave stopped heating

My Sharp microwave, manufactured 13 years ago this October 1st, has suddenly stopped heating. All it does is make a VERY loud, whirring sound when I try to use it. I say loud, because it has never sounded this way before. The turntable still rotates, but nothing else happens. I looked in the manual, and it stated that should it stop heating, check the outlet, and the fuse, before having it serviced.
This may sound like a dumb question, but where exactly IS the fuse? The manual neglects to tell me that. (This is a countertop model, not an over-the-range type.)
Can anyone offer any advice, other than the usual "replace it, it's time!"? Thanks in advance. -- pj
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

looked in

and
If the manual doesn't show you the fuse it doesn't have one. They were talking about the house. But that's strange too since fuses are obsolete. But we're talking about an Asian translation here.

time!"?
Sorry, but it is time to replace. You can get a better, more efficient model for less than $100.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

http://www.google.com/search?q=sci.electronics.repair+faq+microwave+oven http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_micfaq.html
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@cornell.edu (pj) wrote in message
Hi,

A copy... Q - The microwave makes a loud "hum or buzz" noise but will not heat up the food?
A - 9 times out of 10 this is usually this is a bad magnetron, the other time is sometimes a bad high voltage diode.

The fuse is right in side the unit, but if the fuse lets go the entire unit ( clock, lights everthing ) would go off.

Take it in to local repair shop for an est....if too much to repair purchase a new unit.
jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid http://www.applianceaid.com /
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@cornell.edu (pj) wrote in message

Hi,
A copy... Q - The microwave makes a loud "hum or buzz" noise but will not heat up the food?
A - 9 times out of 10 this is usually this is a bad magnetron, the other time is sometimes a bad high voltage diode.

The fuse is right in side the unit, but if the fuse lets go the entire unit ( clock, lights everthing ) would go off.

Take it in to local repair shop for an est....if too much to repair purchase a new unit.
jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid http://www.applianceaid.com /
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@cornell.edu (pj) wrote in message

The fuse is in your fusebox---perhaps in your basement? They are telling you that the relevant fuse in your home electrical system may have burned out. (I would say it's a circuit breaker, but if you insist on fixing a 13-year-old microwave, you probably still have a fuse box!)
New microwaves are both much lighter (easier to move when you have to) and better; they have conveniences like moisture sensors that can tell when a plate of food is warm and ready to eat.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
pj wrote in message ...

The only fuse would usually be inside the cabinet and require some disassembly of the unit. It isn't the problem anyway because if it were the whole microwave would stop working including all lights, motors, etc.

If you took it to a local microwave repair depot, it may not be that expensive to repair.
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Sharp+microwaves
=~~~~~~
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Walmart had them for $50 on my last trip. If it were me I'd pull the cover, diagnose it, and go to my closet for the part. It could be as simple as the diode which is easily changed. But appliance outlets charge $25 sometimes for that simple little part. You're not in a position to fix it. Go shopping.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.