microwave redux

OK, so we're back from the great microwave shopping extravaganza... with nothing...
due to the small size of our kitchen, the *depth* of the microwave is important, because it sits on some Metro shelving rather than on a counter. (shelves are 14" deep, so say a 17" deep overall nuker is about the absolute max) Of course we'd like to have the largest microwave we can fit, without having to reconfigure anything. But the only ones available at all the local big boxen that will fit nicely are little dorm room deals. (hey, come to think of it, I think that the one that just died was the one the girl's parents bought her for college. Yeah, we tend not to replace stuff until it is well and truly dead.) So we sat down with a pair of laptops for some hard core googling. Nothing like a nice romantic evening at home, eh?
So far I think we have two viable options - first, one of three Sharp models, and a Kitchenaid. The major differences between the two that I see are that the Sharps are stainless only on the door, while presumably the KA is all stainless. Also the Sharps are 1100W while the KA is 1200W. I don't know who makes KA microwaves...
I'm guessing that the answer is "no," but is there a real compelling reason to spend 2x the price for a Kitchenaid?
The wrinkle in this is that obviously it's difficult to call around at 11 PM but it doesn't seem like anyone actually *sells* the particular Sharp models I'm interested in, and the highest-featured Sharp model that will fit in the space seems to be unobtanium. I'm certain I could walk into a nearby appliance store with the KA part number and if they didn't have it they'd be happy to order it for me, and it's also available (likely cheaper) from any number of online resellers.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On Feb 23, 12:28 am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Lp1331 1p1331) wrote:

Not unless I remodel. My kitchen... what's the word I'm looking for? Sucks. Takes up a lot of footprint but I have pathetically little counter space.
I actually would like to change the window out along the back wall of the house to allow me to continue the counter along that wall because all I have there is more Metro shelving and it looks kind of junky, and there's a lot of open floor space that I can't really do anything with.
nate
Add pictures here
✖
Nate Nagel wrote the following:

What is a dorm room size? My 2nd microwave is a GE. It is 15" deep x 20-1/4" wide x 11-3/4" high. What do you intend to cook in the microwave? My Microwave is only used for reheating, defrosting, or popcorn. I sometimes cook hot dogs in it, but they are not as good as boiled or grilled hot dogs.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I don't hardly ever use it but she does. Yours sounds about the same size as the dead one. Looking in the store, that's about 0.8 cubic feet or the absolute smallest ones made.
nate
Add pictures here
✖
Nate Nagel wrote:

My Kenmore measures 17" from front of cabinet to the wall behind, and it is on the counter and not pushed back as far as it could go. 22" wide. 1200W. Never used one before that could soften butter or defrost meat without hot spots. White cabinet.
Add pictures here
✖

Here's a link: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02063252000P?vName=Appliances&keywordc252+microwave&sLevel=1
Add pictures here
✖
Nate Nagel wrote:

My plain old $100 Sharp Carousel from Target is 17" deep. Why are the ones you're looking at so deep? Are you wanting to nuke a 25# turkey or something? Pull the shelving forward a bit and let the micro hang off the back a bit more.
Add pictures here
✖

Probably because she wants stainless to match the fridge. seems to only be available on the "upmarket" models, i.e. larger.
nate
Add pictures here
✖
Nate Nagel wrote:

Here's one that's 14" deep (or wide, can't tell) (Amazon.com product link shortened)66938019&sr=1-5
There's millions more on Amazon. You might use their references to filter out the possibilities.
Add pictures here
✖

What about cutting out the wall behind where the Uwave will be. If it is a non-loadbearing wall, you could recess the back of the Uwave into the stud space. It would only require cutting oen or at most two studs. I built a small bookcase into one of our kitchen walls where my wife keeps her cookbooks and nick-nacks, you just have to finish off the top, bottom and sides of the recessed area, and that doesn't have to be too fancy as the Uwave will hide the back of the opening.
Add pictures here
✖

Good idea. Thinking outside the wall, it's called.
Add pictures here
✖
On 02/23/2010 06:08 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Good idea, I don't know whether that wall has gypsum or metal lath though. Have to think about it.
nate