Microwave recall info ?

My GE MW blew the magnetron. Everything else works fine, lights, fan, turntable, etc. Just doesn't heat food. The first magnetron went dead a few months after I bought it in Feb 2001, GE replaced that one for free. Now it happened again. Questions:

- Is there a list of MW recalls I can check for GE specific information ?

- My model is a pretty good one, ~ $450 so I'd rather repair it. What's a good source of GE parts [based on your own experience] ?

Reply to
Gershon Shamay

Hi,

Probably not, or at least none that I have seen online....probably best to call GE with your model# and serial# to see if there are any updates....most microwaves have a 5 year warranty on the mag.

Some recall info:

Not just GE but others as well have enperienced short life with the magnetrons and GE has a good repair kit ( depending on the model#/style ) for some of them.

& stirrer kit

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Mine did the same thing and I think it was purchased right around the same time. IIRC, when they replaced the magnetron there was a warantee on the new part that they had replaced. Do you remember how long that was good for? We don't live in that house anymore so I passed the info along to the new owners, but if you have it, it might be worth checking.

JennP.

Reply to
newfy.1

It's a catch-22, GE thoroughly ticked me off. Yes, the magnetron is under warranty for 9 years. But the labor is not included. Their bottom line:

- I have to pay their technician $60 just to show up and ring my bell.

- Then I have to pay him $25 extra for a diagnosis - i.e. to tell me what I already know.

- Then the technician will tell me how much his labor will cost. All GE departments I talked to refused to find this information for me ahead of time.

So bottom line, I have to pay them $85 if they DO NOT fix it, or an unknown amount if they do fix it. This makes the magnetron warranty meaningless. I want to know my total bottom line beforehand, to decide whether to fix or junk the microwave. By the way, all 6 GE reps I talked to on the phone were abrupt, almost rude on this subject. I cancelled the scheduled technician visit and will try to fix it myself.

I'd love to hear other people's opinion on this situation and on GE service overall.

Reply to
Gershon Shamay