Microwave Quit heating

Page 2 of 2
Disassemble the unit, unplug and replug the multi pin connectors.
my microwave Numbers Panel Light went out and I can see zero when it runs
[98% of the time. In the dark, I can see very faint numbers]
anything I can try to bring them back?
I really like this microwave. otherwise
marc
On Monday, January 7, 2013 1:49:23 PM UTC-8, Stormin Mormon wrote:

thanks Christopher
will give it a try
marc
Very often, when displays go dark, there is a dirty pin or socket, on the multipin. I had a cell phone like that, one time.
On Monday, January 7, 2013 1:49:23 PM UTC-8, Stormin Mormon wrote:

thanks Christopher
will give it a try
marc
Sounds like a failed high voltage diode. Easy repair. Diode goes between the high voltage capacitor, and ground. Electrical safety rules apply, as do legal disclaimers.
My 12 year old microwave quit heating today. I was warming some soup and set it for the required time. When the cycle ended, the soup was warm, but not hot. I ran the MW another minute and the soup did not get any warmer. I tried yet another minute. It never got hot. The MW runs, the timer works the platter rotates, but it just dont heat. I noticed that it makes a loud hum, much louder than it did before.
I suspect that the heating element burned out, and probably costs more for the parts to repair it, than to buy a new MW. But I thought I'd ask if there could be something else that failed?
Is it normal to make a loud hum when they fail?
On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 14:48:26 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

You're right. Besides, like an old car, you fix this and then that fails. Also, probably the newer ones are safer and more efficient tho I'm guessing since I'm using one about 14 years old myself. I just told my wife that we better prepare to replace it soon as I see it beginning to rust inside.

This one has been rusting quite a lot where the wheel rotates the platter inside. I was planning to coat that rust with some sort of paint or epoxy. It's a General Electric. I've heard that this rusting is a common problem with these GE MWs. I'll check it out. If it's a diode or cap, I'll fix it, otherwise I guess it's time for a new one. If I junk it, I'll save the timer. I've known people to use them to turn on lights for a brief amount of time, and other uses. That's assuming its separate from the other components. The original MW's had a separate timer.
On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 23:04:32 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

Mine is also a GE model # JE1540WW 003 manufactured March 1998. It's not rusting bad yet but I see starting signs of it. Still works well but I don't know for how long and it's a built in with a metal trim piece around it.
I think I will start to look around soon so I don't have to rush and hopefully find the same size microwave while matching GE's white color. I don't know if a different brand uses the same white color as GE. If anyone else knows, please advise. Thanks.