Microwave Quit heating

Page 1 of 2
My 12 year old microwave quit heating today. I was warming some soup and set it for the required time. When the cycle ended, the soup was warm, but not hot. I ran the MW another minute and the soup did not get any warmer. I tried yet another minute. It never got hot. The MW runs, the timer works the platter rotates, but it just dont heat. I noticed that it makes a loud hum, much louder than it did before.
I suspect that the heating element burned out, and probably costs more for the parts to repair it, than to buy a new MW. But I thought I'd ask if there could be something else that failed?
Is it normal to make a loud hum when they fail?
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 6, 2:48 pm, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

The tube that generates the microwaves is called a Klystron. It looks a lot like a regular vacuum tube you might have seen in an older TV set. Anyway, the Klystron can fail in two ways. 1, It actually burns out and you get no heating at all, 2, it gets weaker with age, and heating times gradually increase. A third possibility is that some other component in the uwave has failed.
Since you got some heating, and then it seems to have stopped heating, we can pretty much eliminate the gradual failure. Only someone familiar with mucrowave ovens can tell if the Klystron or some other part has failed. And, you are right, the cost of repairing it can be more than the cost of a new one.
So, you have to tell us a lot more, such as make, model, age, appearance, etc, before we can advise you what route to take. Have you tried to heat some cold water again? Was there any heating?
Add pictures here
✖

Do you mean Klystron or Magnetron?
Add pictures here
✖

for very high powered radar systems - the klystron is the amplifier.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Yup, I used to work on TWT exciter-10KW Klystron-100KW Klystron drvien triple diversity troposcatter system B4 the days of satellite took over. Also worked on MW comm. system putting out 3-5 Watts from a small Klystron. Long time ago in the late '50s-'60s.
Add pictures here
✖

It's the Magnetron. 9 times out of 10 that's the problem when it stops heating.
Add pictures here
✖
I must work on the wrong units. The ones I've repaired, have been bad diode (several), or capacitor (one).
It's the Magnetron. 9 times out of 10 that's the problem when it stops heating.
Add pictures here
✖
On 1/6/2013 4:19 PM, Meanie wrote:

Magnetrons are quite tough, most failures are due to the the diode, capacitor failing or simply a blown fuse. ^_^
TDD
Add pictures here
✖

The fuse has always been the problem with my microwaves, Radio Shack and other hardware outlets always have them available, a cheap test is to replace it.
Add pictures here
✖

But the fuse will take out more than just the heating function, the whole unit will fail.
Add pictures here
✖
On 1/6/2013 8:50 PM, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:
message

There may be more than one fuse. ^_^
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
On 01/06/2013 08:02 PM, EXT wrote:
[snip]

It was the fuse that kept mine from working. Taking the cover off and looking saved money that time.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us
On 1/6/2013 2:19 PM, Meanie wrote:

Add pictures here
✖

✖

You're all correct, I have no idea why I typed magnetron but was thinking more along the lines of capacitor, yet even that's not always the case.
I'm just gonna keep my fingers to myself on this one and watch.
Add pictures here
✖

Most of the time the diode shorts or cap, or transformer shorts. I think with no load, the transformer still sucks a lot of power. There should be small resistance between magnetron terminals, on heater. Always discharge cap !!! If it's simple like diode, replace part, but you will spend too much on other parts except cap.
If yo want full info, check out science repair FAQ. Microwave ovens.
http://zekfrivolous.com/faq/sam/micfaq.htm
Greg
Add pictures here
✖

That is quite an article. It seems to have everything anyone would ever want to know about fixing a microwave. I have not read all of it, but I've already learned a lot.
One thing, the article has invalid links. I suppose they are old.
Both links here (Below) are obsolete -
*Microtech maintains a web site with a large amount of information on microwave oven repair including an on-line
*Tech Tips Database with hundreds of solutions to common problem for many models of microwave ovens. There are also an extensive list
Add pictures here
✖

Tec tips used to be very popular with things, like monitors, vcrs, etc. I'll see if I remember to send Sam a note. All the mirror sites should have the same edition, Including mine.
Epoxy paint should work well, with prep.
I've installed mechanical timers before. Some people like them better.
Greg
Add pictures here
✖

Mechanical timers live thru noise on the power line much better than electronic timers. Also sorry about Klystrona vs Magnetrons in my original response. Thinking radar power levels, not home ovens.
Add pictures here
✖
my microwave Numbers Panel Light went out and I can see zero when it runs
[98% of the time. In the dark, I can see very faint numbers]
anything I can try to bring them back?
I really like this microwave. otherwise
marc
Add pictures here