Microwave problem

Slightly more then a year ago I bough very expesive Sharp convection microwave. It has been working great till last week when it suddenly stopped working. Table does not rotate and microwave or convection does not heat. What can be the problem and how best to fix it?

Reply to
Sasha

Is there no power to anything, it might be an internal replacable fuse. Last year I bought a microwave because my 12 yr old unit smelled a bit like it was burning up, well what I bought last year caught fire, they dont make things very well anymore. Yesterday I bought a dehumififier, its going back, I can smell something burning, cheap chinese 2$ junk

Reply to
m Ransley

Ditto. If there's no power, take off the housing around the micro and replace the small, internal fuse [like a 1" glass fuse]. Probably cost less than $.50].

Reply to
herlihyboy

If you have no experience of repair, I strongly suggest you do NOT, under any circumstances, poke about in the microwave. there are capacitors there which hold a possibly lethal charge even after the unit is disconnected. Even trained technicians have been killed working on such units, as they are easily the most dangerous of the domestic electronics to work on, owing to high voltages and currents involved.

Replacing the fuse is unlikely to cure the problem, as fuses almost always blow for a reason (usually a short in the appliance, further down the line) and the fuse opening up prevents life threatening situations arising and possible fire. Chances are, you'll replace it and it will blow out again, since in treating the symptoms, you won't have fixed the cause.

Get the unit to a trained technician for your own safety!

(for future reference, see

for more tips.) regards, B.

Reply to
reverend_rogers

"herlihyboy" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

UNPLUG the MW first,for safety.

Don't wear any rings or metal bracelets that could short something,and conduct electricity into you or heat up and burn you. Also,the big capacitor can store a very hazardous charge.

Then,the fuse may blow again,because the problem that blew the first fuse was not corrected.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

The microwave light goes on and it starts whizzing normally as if it is working as usual except the table does not rotate and it does not heat. I just don't know where to bring it for repair. I am also afraid that possible repair would cost so much that makes no sense related to microwave. I would rather replace the fuse myself. If it is blown again I know there is more fundamental problem. I believe the fuse is designed to be replaced, isn't it?

reverend snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
Sasha

Since there was no power to the microwave its capacitors would not be charged. Just unplug it and work on it the next day in case you are still worried. I had worked on heavy metal computers, commercial kitchen equipment as well super strength as oilfield stuff. I have never come across an instance where someone was killed or even badly hurt from being zapped by a capacitor.

If it crapped out within a year get a free replacement. Keep proof of purchase. If older its only a fuse and easy enough for you to give it a shot at DIY repair. If the fix doesn't work you are not out by much. Don't spend any more time on it. A new microwave is cheap, certainly cheaper than a shop estimate let alone getting a technician to repair it.

Any item under $300 is not worth repairing. Any item costing more than $300 better be reliable or else the vendor would go bankrupt servicing them. That's why (when under warranty) he gives you a brand new TV set, dumps the old one and gets his credit from the manufacturer. Same with the microwave. Crappy equipment gets dumped promptly and the manufacturer faces the prospect of losing his precious retail shelf space besides having to bear the loss of already shipped merchandise. That's why one can expect reliable and yet very affordable products on the shelves these day. Don't hang on to any equipment that requires complicated repairs.

Reply to
ppp

The microwave is 2.2 cf, staneless steel with convection owen and cost ~$500 in January 2005. Unfortunately, one its year warrantly has already expired.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
Sasha

"Sasha" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@s13g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

After troubleshooting and repair,yes.

Get out your Yellow Pages and look for "appliance repair" shops in your area. That's where I bought the parts when I repaired my Sharp MW. (Now 28 yrs old)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"Sasha" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

It seems to be a large MW,and very new,so repairs and parts are certainly available;check the papers that came with your oven(you did save them?) for local service centers,or Google the manufacturer,and check their site for authorized service centers in your area.Perhaps the store that sold you the oven has a service department.

They will give you an estimate of the repair costs,and it may be possible to email the manufacturer and complain (nicely) about the oven dying so soon after the warranty period;maybe they will "comp" the repair bill.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Unless you're comfortable working around high voltages, you should take it to a repair shop.

Reply to
glenn P

You'll probably see a label on the back saying "no user servicable parts inside - DO NOT OPEN".

Saving fifty bucks can cost you a lot more....

Reply to
glenn P

I fixed one like that around 1990. Radio Shack sold a suitable fuse.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

You could leave it unplugged for 24 hours.

You have a choice of a possible 50-cent fix, or a definite replacement.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd