microwave oven saga

Page 2 of 2

where the refrgerator goes is between some cabinets and it would take a major redo to fit in a larger one. Had to settle for a smaller one than we wanted because of the space.
Over the years almost all building supplies change sizes. The 2x4 studs get thinner, the 3/4 inch plywood gets thiner. Then when you need to replace something it is usually a total tear out and replace the whole room.
On 2/17/2016 5:20 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

We have a built-in oven/microwave combo. Not sure what happened, but the microwave quit working. It may just be a fuse, but it's very difficult to get to to even check, and we'd have to remove the oven that sits below it in order to check what's wrong with that microwave.
The over works just fine. We ended up just buying a free standing microwave that sits on the counter.
--
Maggie

on 2/16/2016, badgolferman supposed :

My built-in microwave stopped heating after 12 years use. I looked into fixing it and found the magnatron to be a very expensive part, so I bought a replacement microwave [Same size same brand same options] for less than half the cost of a replacement magnatron, and installed the oven myself. That was two years ago. Sometimes fixing something is just to satisfy ones ego when a complete replacement is cheeper. In your case, a replacement oven wasn't an option. Glad you got it fixed . :D
On 02/16/2016 10:28 AM, badgolferman wrote:

Before you attempt to fix, let alone open a microwave open, you would be wise to learn about their theory of operation, how the components work, and how to not kill yourself. If you attempt to "learn as you go", make sure you have a good insurance policy to provide for your wife after you have gone.
Being a usenet guy I'm surprised you haven't already read this, but here it is anyway: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/micfaq.htm
Jon
On Tuesday, February 16, 2016 at 11:28:04 AM UTC-7, badgolferman wrote:

$200? Did you order from an appliance supply instead of from MCM Electronics, Dalbani, Premium Parts, etc? It's possible you could have bought another small microwave oven and taken parts from it because many magnetrons are identical. The mechanical fit of the magnetron must be exactly the same or strong microwaves can leak where the magnetron seals against the chassis.
What overvoltage diode? The electonic circuit board may have some tiny ones, but I'd expect a MOV across the AC lines. OTOH magnetrons are powered by thousands of volts provided by a circuit consisting of a high voltage capacitor and high voltage diode configured as a voltage doubler. This diode will measure as an open circuit with digital multimeters because they apply only about 2-3 volts for ohms or diode measurement, and high voltage diodes consist of several diodes connected in series and require more voltage to be applied , so a higher voltage has to be applied to it to conduct. Some analog meters will do that on their higher resistance scales, like 10x or 100x, or you can use a source of at least about 9 volts DC with a resistor of at least 10,000 ohms in series.
snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

How many microwave ovens should I have bought before I found the one that fits properly?
The parts were bought from PartsDirect.com. In case you didn't notice, I got them from there because they had a return policy and I could get it next day air.

Maybe I said it wrong and it is a high voltage diode. I think you got the point though.
On Saturday, February 20, 2016 at 10:52:07 AM UTC-7, badgolferman wrote:

wrong parts. I would have checked the UL registration number to improve the odds of getting something that uses similar parts.

I remember them charging $3 for speaking with them and claiming they warned me of this when actually they hadn't because their website had issues with browsers that weren't Firefox.
On Sat, 20 Feb 2016 17:37:44 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

So you would take the microwave apart, and if it didn't match, return it? No store is that good about repairs.

Micky wrote:

The whole idea of buying microwaves and taking them apart to find the right parts is totally asinine.
On 2/22/2016 5:23 AM, badgolferman wrote:

+42
How do you *know* this is the same part? Because it LOOKS the same? Because it has the same number stamped on it? How do you know they aren't "rejects" (failed some critical characterization) that People's Microwave Oven Factory #234 rationalized was unnecessarily strict -- for THEIR product
[Of course, the product you now have would be neither theirs NOR the original manufacturer's]
On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 12:23:53 +0000 (UTC), "badgolferman"

Of course. It's one thing when I saved broken VCR's for their parts. I already owned them and they don't take up much room. (Though when I needed a Zenith head motor, I couldn't find one. Neither could the shop I used to go to in his stock. )