Microwave Oven Question

Suzie-Q:
S > My microwave oven, a 10-year-old Tappan 1000 watt, has S > kicked the bucket. Is it worth it to try to have it S > repaired (are microwave ovens "repairable")? Do they have S > fuses that can be changed by a lay person?
IMO you would be better off to buy a new microwave. The new ones are a lot less expensive than what you paid for your's - in some cases less than $80.00.
Your old m/w no longer puts out 1000 Watts: the magnetron 'wears out', much like a fluorescent bulb slowly puts out less light. Also the lifespan of a magnetron is 12 years IIRC.
Yes,, there is generally a fuse inside, which may or may not be user- repairable - depends on the type of fuse and if you can solder. The part that concerns me more is proper replacement of the covers so as to not allow the microwave energy to leak out. Cooking what's inside the cavity is good; cooking you on the outside is bad.
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* Why is there a permanent-press setting on most irons?
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Go to Wal-Mart, and buy a new one for $29. I just recently got mine for that price.
JD
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Decij wrote:

Now, what kind of a fix-it-up, do-it-yourself advice is that....
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.