Microwave Oven Question

Suzie-Q:

S > My microwave oven, a 10-year-old Tappan 1000 watt, has S > kicked the bucket. Is it worth it to try to have it S > repaired (are microwave ovens "repairable")? Do they have S > fuses that can be changed by a lay person?

IMO you would be better off to buy a new microwave. The new ones are a lot less expensive than what you paid for your's - in some cases less than $80.00.

Your old m/w no longer puts out 1000 Watts: the magnetron 'wears out', much like a fluorescent bulb slowly puts out less light. Also the lifespan of a magnetron is 12 years IIRC.

Yes,, there is generally a fuse inside, which may or may not be user- repairable - depends on the type of fuse and if you can solder. The part that concerns me more is proper replacement of the covers so as to not allow the microwave energy to leak out. Cooking what's inside the cavity is good; cooking you on the outside is bad.

  • Why is there a permanent-press setting on most irons?
Reply to
barry martin

Go to Wal-Mart, and buy a new one for $29. I just recently got mine for that price.

JD

Reply to
Decij

Now, what kind of a fix-it-up, do-it-yourself advice is that....

Reply to
News Hound