Microwave Oven on Blink. Help!

We have a Whirlpool microwave oven over the stove. All of the sudden it emits a loud hum when you turn it on. It also doesn't cook when you turn it on. Now, this hum is quite a bit louder than the ordinary hum you hear when it is on. What could be the problem?
I await your expert responses.
Thanks, Tom
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
fan Motor?

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Thomas Minter wrote:

Hi Tom:
I'm not an expert but have had that happen before, and it meant that the magnetron was shot. With modern advances in technology, replacing a magnetron costs only a little more than buying a new microwave....
The over-the-oven microwaves have come down a good bit in price over the last year or so, it seems. Lowes has a Whirlpool for under $200: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId#5972-46-MH1160XSB&lpage=none
Hope this helps -- Terry
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId#5972-46-MH1160XSB&lpage=none
........................................................................................... . Here is another reply by another Terry!!!!! . I could guess at a number of causes; all related to the possible breakdown of certain very high voltage electronic parts (HV diode, capacitor etc.) and /or the magnetron itself. . However unless you are very competent electronics technician DO NOT attempt to work on it yourself. . Microwave ovens are essentially a microwave radio frequency transmitter of at least several hundred watts, in a metal box. They also involve DC voltages of the order of 5000 volts and potential exposure to microwave radiation when the cover is disturbed.
Both can be dangerous to lethal!
The proper reattachment of the covers to prevent radiation takes care; and the proper operation of the door safety switches is also very important. Technicians also know how to test for 'leakage' around the door and vents of the unit. . New ones are so cheap these days that it is not normally worth the hourly cost of a North American technician's labour to repair them. I have found that even a used magnetron (not always the problem by the way) to be anywhere from $30 to $50. You can buy a brand new unit with a certain amount of warranty for little more! . My advice is "Be very, very careful"!
Hope this helps
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.