Microwave oven capacitor.. Dead short overnight?

I always ask the same question about a few persons that always tell everyone to hire a professional on this NG, no matter what the problem is. I agree there are times to do that, but surely not because someone has some minor, non-threatening problem. On the rare occasion that I tell someone to hire a pro, it's because they are dealing with something dangerous and from their message they have proven they do not have a clue what they are doing. But these people that tell everyone to hire a pro, no matter what the question, really are irritating, and I take it as an insult to the OP, because even a complete idiot knows that if they got lots of money, all they have to do is dial a phone. If someone posts a question on this NG, it's obvious they are trying to do the repair themselves.
Mark

Why? I repaired mine at over 25 yrs old,and it is still working,*for a cost of $25.00*,and it has a larger cavity than the current ones made. It's a Sharp,a very good MW.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

ROTFL !!!!

and mine will be 20 this year.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

My Sharp dates from 1979,replaced a shorted HV cap in 2000,still running.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

That's seems to be the most common part to fail. Microwave ovens are pretty simple. There really is not that much to them..... You probably have one of the first models ever made. Sharp seemed to make all of them back then.... My mother had a Sharp from that era. It finally died last year, and she bought a new MW and tossed that old one before I had a chance to tinker with it. She said it blew sparks and made smoke, and she was so freaked out that she called pulled the plug and ran over by the neighbor to have them call the fire department. The neighbor ran over and said there was no fire, so they did not call the fire dept. Mom is very old and tends to freak out from things like this. However, she did the right thing by unplugging it. I still hear about this "terrible fire" everytime I see her now !!!