Microwave oven burnt smell

Noticed there is smell in the microwave that doesn't smell like it's food related. Maybe something internal burned up. I'm not sure. I'm afraid to unscrew the oven and take it apart. A repair man once told me there is a lot of voltage stored up inside mw ovens. Don't want to do anything foolish and get an incredible zap.
Money-wise this is a cheap $35 microwave. However, replacing it, I would probably spend close to $100.. thinking maybe the low quality is what may have caused this thing to burn up. Then again, I don't know for sure what caused the smell. Maybe it is food related? And, the microwave is okay. I haven't tested it out yet. Any suggestions?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Fear not. There's no voltage stored up inside your microwave oven. Particularly in a $35 unit the charge on any capacitor in it will leak off by the time you get the screws out and remove the cover. Do remember to unplug it though.
Boden
Charlie S. wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

transmitter in a metal box! Voltages can easily exceed 2000 lethal volts and microwave radiation can be dangerous; if you operate it with the cover off stand well back. The short term effects of microwave radiation are well know; you don't want to cook your hand like a piece of meat! The long term effects of exposure to microwaves still uncertain; but best to be sure! If/when you put it back together make sure the covers fit absolutely to prevent RF leakage. If you are not an experienced technician it's probably not worth the effort of fixing it. Repair rates including the availability of proper test gear, use of manuals etc. probably runs between $25 and $50 per hour. Brand new m.waves available here for between $50 and $100
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

chance on something like this. I'm using our old microwave at the moment. Doesn't have the rotating tray, but it has more power and works well enough.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Tested out microwave. It still works. Smell is present. Will wait for tomorrow and find out if the smell goes away. May even take off the cover... making sure I don't make contact with anything inside to see if there is anything obviously wrong.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.