Microwave odor

My Kenmore Elite 1200 watt model 721.6339011 has started producing an awful odor. It's like burning hair. Thorough cleaning has not solved this problem. What do you suggest?

Bill

Reply to
FlaBill

Electrical burning smell?

Take it in for service or trash it and get a new one.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Return it to Sears, and see what they say.

.

Bill

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

FlaBill,

Outside of my experience so I Googled. Someone seemed really happy with 2 tbsp of coffee grounds in 1/2 cup of water and run through the microwave for

3 min. I'm assuming that you've already cleaned the interior.

Dave M.

Reply to
Dave M.

I suspect electrical part over heating. Might be dangerous. I didn't give a lot of information on my last post. I'd seriously take it back to the store.

.

Bill

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My Kenmore Elite 1200 watt model 721.6339011 has started producing an awful odor. It's like burning hair. Thorough cleaning has not solved this problem.

*If it turns out to not be an electrical component problem, a mouse may have been trapped inside and might explain the burning hair smell.

I had a customer years ago complain for weeks about an awful smell in his kitchen. For some reason I had to pull the wall oven out and there was the carcass of a rat hanging on one of the wires in the back.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Why would the store have anything to do with it unless it was brand new? He said nothing about the age and given that he says it's "started producing an odor", the implication is that it's not a new unit.

If it's an electrical odor, time for a new one and' especially if it's like 15+ years old. A new one is only $100.

Reply to
trader4

odor. It's like burning hair. Thorough cleaning has not solved this problem.

LOL... nice one

Reply to
Doug

Maybe but I don't think he ever told us if this is a built in or on the counter which may make a difference in this case. I tend tho to lean on the electrical burning but with so limited info, it's really nothing more than a guess. I do think that it's not worth fixing if it's more than 5 years old unless he's doing the repair himself.

Reply to
Doug

Even then it's probably not worth it if it's a counter model and any component of significance is shot.

Reply to
trader4

Shears and Roebunk does very expensive repairs, but they do repairs. Might also been a recall.

.

Why would the store have anything to do with it unless it was brand new? He said nothing about the age and given that he says it's "started producing an odor", the implication is that it's not a new unit.

If it's an electrical odor, time for a new one and' especially if it's like 15+ years old. A new one is only $100.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'd say if it is under warranty it is worth looking into but I would not have it repaired. I had one repaired once and could have gotten a new one for the price. Microwaves now are like toasters or automatic coffee makers, you just toss them and get a new one.

Reply to
Frank

I'd go about half of the "new" price in repairs. That's about where it's not worth the money.

Burning smell, could be a lot of things.

.

I'd say if it is under warranty it is worth looking into but I would not have it repaired. I had one repaired once and could have gotten a new one for the price. Microwaves now are like toasters or automatic coffee makers, you just toss them and get a new one.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The model number is wrong or something. If it's like my sears combo unit, lists for over $500 . See if the op comes back.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Are you sure have posted the correct model number?

That model number does not seem to match any Kenmore microwaves that I can find.

Reply to
DerbyDad03