microwave/hood vents

Page 2 of 2

what is the configuration of your exhaust piping? diameter, length, number of elbows?
I did my kitchen a couple of months ago and put in a GE profile 300CFM microhood vented through the roof. No issues. The only thing I did different is my unit vents out the back, then goes up between the studs through the roof. Since I had to use a short 90, I eliminated the flapper otherwise it would block the duct going up between the studs. But thats fine since I have a Broan roof cap which has a much better flap system than the one on the microhood. I agree, check the orientation of the motor depending if your venting to the top or the back. Also make sure you are not exceeding the max # of ducts and elbows recommended by the manufacturer. Just out of curiousity, when the unit was on, did you go outside to the exhaust cap and see if it was blowing out pretty strong?
I have the same problem with my otr microhood. I had a Samsung model to rep lace an old 10 year old one I had. The Samsung had very poor suction. Had S amsung tech come look at it and they said it is functioning as designed. My old one didn't have any suction problem. I took it back to the store and got a LG model with a 400cfm and it's worse than the Samsung model I'm just accepting the fact these otr microhood shuts plain suck.
On Wednesday, April 27, 2016 at 5:55:14 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote :

Samsung tech come look at it and they said it is functioning as designed. My old one didn't have any suction problem. I took it back to the store an d got a LG model with a 400cfm and it's worse than the Samsung model

And now accept the fact that you have revived an 8 year old thread.

Yup, we put in a top of the line Frigidaire Gallery OTR microwave as art of a total kitchen redo and it doesn't draw worth a flip. Had company service guys out twice and they said it's working properly.
Cooking odors from stove-top frying fill the house and steam from stove-top boiling rises and is taking a toll on the way-too-expensive new cabinets over the range.
We'd thoroughly researched appliances in Consumer Reports before buying and they didn't say boo about the limitations of OTR microwaves. We cancelled our long-time subscription over this failure to inform.
--
Have you ever looked into a mirror and thought…hell no, that can’t be right…

On Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 6:41:21 PM UTC-4, Wade Garrett wrote:

ad Samsung tech come look at it and they said it is functioning as designed . My old one didn't have any suction problem. I took it back to the store and got a LG model with a 400cfm and it's worse than the Samsung model

If you look at the size of a blower in a real range hood, you'll begin to see the problem. You can't put 10 lbs of stuff into a 5 lb bag.
On 4/28/16 7:12 PM, trader_4 wrote:

Yeah, we definitely screwed up not installing one.
But if the product class of OTR microwaves doesn't work, why the hell are they made and sold...and why don't appliance sales people steer people away from them.
Come to think about it, I may go back and grouse to the major retailer where we bought the new refrigerator, slide-in range, OTR microwave, dishwasher and clothes washer. We left big bucks there and the sales weasel's commission probably covered his car payments for several months...
--
Somewhere along the line, politicians discovered it's more fun to tell
people how to live than it is to fix potholes.

Sears is having a sale!
--
Tekkie

I have a rental with one of these. The quality has been going down. I think I'm on my fourth one in 30 years.
I just replaced it a few months ago with a Whirlpool that was $160. I was thinking of an LG or Samsung because I thought that the exhaust fan would be better, now I'm glad I didn't.
The second one was put in by a contractor who remodeled the kitchen. I later found out that he had not turned the exhaust fan motors so they blew up into the exhaust pipe through the roof, so for several years there was actually no exhaust at all.