Microwave from Sears / Kmart

Page 2 of 3

My dad was one of the old guys years ago. Worked for a local appliance store as a repairman for over 15 years. Then he left and went to work for a place that payed much beter. As he was the only repair man at the store, they did not have a 'old guy'.
Many US companies are terminating the old guys, and bring in new kids who will work for less. Of course, the quality and customer service suffers. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Problem is, what happens when us old guys retire???The shops that have the same guy for 20 and 30 years have a new guy "in the wings" learning everything the old guy has learned over the last 20, 30, 40, or 50 years??? That's the problem - at least here in Canada - and I'm sure it's very similar in the US of A.
On Thu, 4 Apr 2013 09:56:41 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

My CPoE hires up all of the "old guys" they can find (and fills out with HB-1s). My boss specifically looks for engineers over forty, over fifty if he can find them. The pups are know-nothings. I don't work for a US company anymore, though.
Actually, when I was looking for work a couple of years ago, I found just as much reverse age-discrimination as classical discrimination. Was I discriminated against? Sure (some were amazingly blatant) but even more the other way. They were looking for experienced people.

Me and the guys I work with are all disabled in one way or another and we couldn't hold a normal job with normal hours so we work as independent contractors running service calls and doing installations. If I push myself too hard on a job it may take me several days to recover but I git-r-done. We get calls all the time to straighten out a mess that Billy Bob or Sammy Slacker slammed in and walked off. I have to leave in a few minutes to check out a phone system at an auto parts store that has a dead line. Tomorrow I have a customer call system to reprogram at a big retail store. There is an amazing amount of work out there if you want to work and are semiconscious, semi-literate and possess some sort of technical skills. ^_^
TDD

Thank the lord for experts like you who keep the world running.
On 4/4/2013 2:22 PM, MoTown wrote:

Thanks for the sentiment but an expert is a former drip. ^_^
When I hear someone say they can't find a job I want to slap them upside the head and scream at them, "Don't you know how to do anything?!" There is work out there if you ever bothered to learn how technology works and how to keep it running. I repair stuff I've never seen before because I know how things work, I know who to ask and I can communicate with tech support over the phone. Last summer, me and JH drove to Tupelo, MS several times because the energy management system at a drug store wasn't working and Billy Bob HVAC tried to hook it up but wandered off mumbling to himself. I followed the instructions from the energy management system company tech support to hook the wiring up to the rooftop package units and headed back home to Alabamastan. We got a call the next day that it was hot in the office and the remote monitoring showed high temperatures and no current draw by the compressors. We traveled back to Tupelo and I started a study of the control system for the rooftop package units. Me and JH, two old disabled guys climbed a 20' interior ladder onto a roof in 105°F weather where we got 2nd degree burns from all the metal we touched up there. I hooked my gauges up to the Trane commercial package unit and manually operated it and found nothing wrong with the compressor or refrigerant charge. I spent 5 minutes looking at the diagram and control system before yelling WTF!, "What's The Function!" I had never worked on that particular Trane model which had a proprietary digital control system that worked with a proprietary Trane digital thermostat. In order to get it to talk to a standard thermostat which is the language spoken by the energy management system, the unit needed an optional Trane circuit board which allowed it to speak standard thermostat. A quick loud WTF call to corporate to get the control board shipped and we returned to that darned hot roof a few days later to install the circuit board and everything worked as desired. Billy Bob HVAC Company was clueless about energy management control systems and I've had to repair a number of the evil things all over the place while yelling at corporate because they got some dumbass to improperly install the equipment to start with. That's basically the kind of thing me and JH wind up doing on a regular basis. I wound up going behind an AT&T tech today to get a phone line back up at an auto parts store. I uploaded the paperwork an hour ago. o_O
TDD
On Thu, 04 Apr 2013 23:52:51 -0600, The Daring Dufas

I like stories like that. Good one.
I've tried to coach and train people how to form their own business. There is a lot to it, advertising, scheduling, invoicing, money handling, parts supply, and so on. I've met many people who are worker bees, but who will never be self employed. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
[...]
I can always tell when the other guy works on one of the boxes I service. He leaves all the packaging, parts, pieces, cut ends of wires, etc. I'm semiconscious and semiliterate. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Me and the guys I work with are all disabled in one way or another and we couldn't hold a normal job with normal hours so we work as independent contractors running service calls and doing installations. If I push myself too hard on a job it may take me several days to recover but I git-r-done. We get calls all the time to straighten out a mess that Billy Bob or Sammy Slacker slammed in and walked off. I have to leave in a few minutes to check out a phone system at an auto parts store that has a dead line. Tomorrow I have a customer call system to reprogram at a big retail store. There is an amazing amount of work out there if you want to work and are semiconscious, semi-literate and possess some sort of technical skills. ^_^
TDD

I wouldn't put Sears last - at least in Canada. I'd buy from Sears Brand Central before Home Despot or Future Schlock - but I do prefer buying from the locally owned T/A Warehouse - where I have bought my last stove, refrigerator, washer, drier, and gas BarBQ. They have a well-supplied parts department as well as repair techs. On the Samsung washer and drier they had a 5 year extended warranty with a twist - no claims you get half the cost of the warranty back in store credit at the end.. I buy my TV and audio stuff from a local dealer (Gibson Sound and Audio or Steve's TV) as well. - what I don't get at Garage sales.
On 04/02/2013 09:38 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

You haven't shopped there in a decade or more have you?
Even Craftsman is just riding on the name these days; really, Kobalt tools appear to be just as good and now that there are more Lowe's stores than Sears more convenient to purchase. Haven't had to warranty any yet however so I can't comment on that.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On 4/2/2013 9:33 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:

I seem to recall reading about a U.S. toolmaker who makes tools for both Sears and Kline, I'm not sure if it was just screwdrivers but the company makes private label tools for several well known quality tool companies. ^_^
TDD

I have had much the same experience. I have a defective combination Sears MW/convection oven. The oven only goes uo to 300. I first discovered this when it was some ten months old when my regular oven failed. Up until then I'd only been using the MW. Requested service in late January.
First call was never followed through. Then arguments with serviceman about whether I could get home service or have to bring it to Sears. I can't carry it - way too heavy. Then after about three service calls they finally gave in to permit home service. Then problems getting a serviceman. The MW guys said they don't fix ovens, and the oven guys said the don't fix MWs. After three or four cancelled service guys they finally sent one who could repair the oven. Now he's made about eight calls, ordering stuff followed by replacing stuff that doesn't fix it. Now waiting for replacement heat sensor for replacement heat sensor. Can't get them to replace the whole thing. About twelve or fourteen service calls now, the fourth month now. Fortunately I bought a extended warranty or I'd be SOL because it's over a year old and they'd probably not continue to try to fix it under regular warranty.
I suspect they're waiting for me to give up in disgust.
Guess whose appliences I'll never buy again?

Let me guess - anything made in China???

On the flip side, I had a pretty decent experience with Sears Repair Service.
I bought a Craftsman Lawn Mower with a Honda engine from Sears. 2 year warranty.
It worked great the first season, I stored it per the manual, put fresh gas in it in the spring and it wouldn't start. I took it in for warranty repair, it went to PA for a couple of weeks and came back running like new. The paperwork said something like "Cause: Bad Gas. Cleaned carburetor. Bad gas not usually covered, will not cover bad gas under warranty again."
Do I think it was bad gas? Nope...I used the same gas in my trimmer and chain saw that season with no problem. Do I care? Nope...I got a free carburetor cleaning. :-)
Lawn mower has been running fine for 3 years now.
Score one for the extended warranty. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
[...]

Now, that sounds like excellent advice. Thank you. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Stormy:
By now in life you should know to always ignore the "STOP Do Not Return To Store" insert.
That's there because if you do, you get credit (or exchange), the store will return it to the manufacturer for credit to them and the mfgr eats the cost for the POS. The mfgr wants you to do all the legwork and inconvenience to minimize the impact to their numbers.
Let the mfgr take it up with their f'n Chinese suppliers if they don't like my consumer approach.
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
My parents 35 year old Hardwick microwave finally quit. They did some research, and then went to Kmart, and bought one. Kmart is now part of the Sears family. Under a hundred dollars later, Mom and Dad came home with a new one.
About a week later, the unit is running, but not heating. The manual says either return to the store for exchange, or take to a Sears authorized repair center. Well, there is such a center near where they live, so the microwave gets put back in the box, and carried out to the car.
Some days and a couple phone calls later, we learn that the microwave was shipped from Rochester NY to Pittsburgh PA the repair center. It was shipped back, because that center doesn't do microwaves. And then off to some other center.
A robocall comes in, the unit is ready to pick up. Dad drives to the repair center and finds out it's not there. Got sent some where else.
Finally the unit comes back, still broken. New instructions are to take it to the store of purchase, and exchange it.
Two weeks or more later, and they still don't have a microwave. Back to heating food and coffee on the stove, and planning meals that can reheat in pans.
I'm not all impressed with Kmart / Sears customer service.
Chris.....You are getting smarter every day. WW . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
It's either that, or grow old and stay the same. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Chris.....You are getting smarter every day. WW
On Wednesday, April 3, 2013 1:39:12 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

...you're old and you top-post...WTF!