Microwave beeps randomly

Hello.. Our microwave oven has started to beep randomly as if possessed! Im no priest and less of an electrician and did replace the fuse but it had no effect. Any suggestions appreciated as I hate the idea of tossing such a large item to the trash escpecially when it could be something simple to fix. TIA
simple fix ,cut wire to beeper
Mine only beeps when it is backing up.
However, you can't afford to have it fixed. If you can get it apart and find a wire to a beeper and then get it back together, fine. Otherwise, Walmart has new ones starting at $29.

On 8/3/03 6:37 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@storefull-2174.public.lawson.webtv.net, "mark Ransley"

beeps happen despite not being able to key in any commands..ie. clock set or cooking time. The beeps are a force unto themselves :)
If you replaced the fuse, I hope, you had it unplugged for a while so that should have rebooted it. If that did not do it (replacing the fuse itself would not help) then it is time to replace it. Parts alone are going to cost more than a new one, if you could get the parts and knew which parts to get and knew how to put them in.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Gerald O'Brien wrote in message ...

Intermittent problems are the hardest to isolate so it may take some time to figure it out.
First, is there anything else on the circuit with the microwave oven? Other appliances could cause power surges and/or back feeds which could effect the microwave oven's control.
An intermittent connection in the power supply (hot line, neural OR ground) could cause such a symptom as could a problem in the unit's electronic control. Reversed polarity of the outlet could also cause such a symptom
You could try it on a different outlet, one which you are certain nothing else is on.
Lastly, are you sure it's from the microwave oven??
We had a case where a customer with a brand a new electronic range beeped intermittently. After replacing 2 electronic controls because our techs couldn't find the cause (and never actually heard the beeping themselves), on the third trip to replace yet another control, they heard the beep. It was coming from a smoke detector running low on batteries stuffed in a nearby drawer!!
JFYI
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=+microwave
=~~~~~~

The beeps could be some sort of diagnostic information, i.e. the number and duration mean different error codes. Without access to a service manual, there isn't much you can do. Try asking the manufacturer, but if you guys can really get new ones for $29, then it's hardly worth the effort.
The way I do it, figure out your normal hourly wage, and multiply by how much time it'll take to fix. If it's more than what you would earn for that amount of time, buy a new one and you are "buying" back some of your life... ;-)
F./
Hi Gerald!
GO> Hello.. Our microwave oven has started to beep randomly as if possessed! Im GO> no priest and less of an electrician and did replace the fuse but it had no GO> effect. Any suggestions appreciated as I hate the idea of tossing such a GO> large item to the trash escpecially when it could be something simple to GO> fix. Well, as (one of the) Mark Ransley said, snipping the wire to the 'beeper' would certainly stop the beeping! May be easier to put a piece of Scotch tape over the beeper - I did this when I was working on a computer with the cover off and had to reboot it numerous times to find the problem. Amazing how a piece of tape over speaker cuts the volume!
Anyway, back to what's causing the microwave to beep. How old is the unit? I'm thinking if it's 12-15 years old a capacitor could be leaking causing a staticly signal to be created which the logic circuits interpret as "time to beep!".
Could also be some noise on the AC line causing the same thing. Any X-10-type devices or other devices using the AC lines for carrier? May be outside of your home ==> adjacent neighbours on the same power feed as your home.
There used to be "AC filters" available; not sure if they still are. I have an old two-prong one which Dad bought ages ago because of noise on the stereo (RF interference).
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* Why do Eskimo women wash in Tide? Too cold out-Tide!
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971