Microsoft is Pushing Windows 10 Hard

Windows 10 debuted a little over 8 months ago, leaving less than 4 months for you to upgrade your Windows 7 or 8 system to Windows 10 free of charge. The exact cutoff date is July 29, 2016. But even if you have decided to stick with one of the older Windows versions, you may soon wake up in the morning to find Windows 10 has taken its place. Here's what you need to know...
http://askbobrankin.com/sneaky_microsoft_is_pushing_windows_10_hard.html?
On 5/18/2016 1:59 PM, David B. wrote:

No surprise, here.
How do you *know* what OS a machine is running?
Based on an examination of the desktop? (if I put a Windows95 desktop on your machine, would that convince you that it was running W95?)
Based on what "My Computer | Properties" claims? (so, if I LIE and tell you it's 7even, will you believe me?)
Most users are clueless as to what's happening under the hood. And, damn near powerless to do anything about it!
That's why god created lemmings...
On 05/18/2016 04:09 PM, Don Y wrote:
[snip]

For me, it's the one I PUT there.
[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 5/18/2016 5:05 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

If that one has provisions to update itself, then all bets are off -- unless you never let it talk to anything.
And, as you have no control over the codebase (on most commercial OS's), you don't know if it might decide to stop working if it finds this update process impaired! (of course, that would be FOR YOUR PROTECTION! :> )
"Never trust an operating system you don't have sources for"
On 05/18/2016 03:09 PM, Don Y wrote:

If you can't tell 7 from 10, you have a problem. Hint: if you can't find anything, it's 10.
On 5/18/2016 7:49 PM, rbowman wrote:

My point was that the user interface is the only thing that folks see. I could layer anything atop 10 (or 27!) and make it look like <whatever> -- and you be none the wiser.
I.e., you have no idea what's happening under the hood. No idea what network traffic is being created (or, *deferred* for a later time).
So, no way of knowing if that 7even box is actually W10 guts with a 7even GUI layered atop it.
On 05/18/2016 08:49 PM, rbowman wrote:

I'm sure you know this but for the benefit of others, Classic Shell restores some sanity to Win 10
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_Shell http://www.classicshell.net/

Forget windows, get Linux. Get a live CD, boot from CD, see how easy it is.