Micro-biocide furnace filters.

The guy who repaired my parents furnance suggested micro-biocide filters. I usually buy the pleated type for them at Lowes or Depot for about $15.00 a pop, but I don't know if they are treated or not. He also suggested buying an electrostatic air filter unit which attaches to the furnace for addtional filtration. From what I've read, older homes or ducts (my parents house is 60 years old) aren't designed to work well with these.Any suggestions? Thanks.
Add pictures here
✖
On May 9, 10:49 am, " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com"

The Flanders Natural Aire are a much better deal than the $15 paper ones.
As for internal air quality, opening a few windows daily all year does more to improve indoor air than any filter, biocide, etc. can ever hope to do.
Add pictures here
✖

I'll check out the Flanders Natural Aire. Thanks for the suggestion.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

An electrostatic works fine in my 82 yo home. I can't think of any reason it shouldn't work fine in any forced air system.
Add pictures here
✖
Bob F wrote:

In fact I was told by an HVAC guy that older forced air systems often had marginal ducts (as they were sized for heat only, while A/C requires more airflow.) Therefore electrostatics are a good choice as they have less airflow restriction than media filters.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Do you know what brands of elecrostatics are considered reliable?
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Honeywell is what I've always had.
Add pictures here
✖
On May 9, 11:49�am, " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com"

most older homes leak so much air it prtobably doesnt matter
Add pictures here
✖