Mice in walls

Page 2 of 2
UGH.. my skin crawls just thinking about it because I've had the same problem and it was awful!! I havre found the glue traps do not work -- the mice get off of them and when do they do get stuck they make a lot of noice, very unpleasant. They have these black box type traps that mice crawl into and do not come out of and you can get someone to put them in the walls for you. Plus, when the mouse is in there you don't have to see it when you toss out the trap.
--
citygirl
On 12 Nov 2005 11:04:19 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca wrote:

I've used glue traps and usually they struggle for 10 minutes, then stop struggling until I disturb them to remove them. One of the big makers of glue traps said that vegetable oil poured on the surface will let them loose again. (Remember to do this outside.) It's probably true of all brands, but this was a famous brand for the last 50 years. They make mousetraps and mouse poison boxes too.. Check their webpages or ask me.
Oh yeah, when I just tried to ask them a question the customer service person didn't understand, she sent me some free traps, including a reusuable one. The mice goes in to eat the bait and somehow can't get out. I haven't caught a mouse with it yet, but I think I relied on what they called permanent bait. I also saw a reusable of a different style in a dollar store. it was shaped like __/ so that when the mouse went in to get the bait you chose, it tipped over on its vertex (?), angle, and locked.
No way your kids or animals could get hurt by reusable traps.
I've heard that one should wash his hands or wear gloves before touching this stuff, because the mice can smell your smell, and then they won't bite, but the customer service person said she hadn't heard that.
I think there are also glue traps with roofs, like roach traps, so that what goes on inside is not so noticeable. And it's not so likely your pet or child will step in one.
Cats are very effective, but I wouldn't be certain that your kid won't learn a lesson. I believe they often torment a mouse after they have caught it. I saw this in the cartoons first, but then I saw it real life. Even if she just sees the cat eat it.... well, she has to grow up sometime. If you lived on a farm, she know all this already. Where does she think lambchops, chicken, and steaks come from. OK, she might not ask about that for a few years yet, and she might not see anything that you do to the mice either.
After mice die, they sometimes dry up without any smell. I found one in the basement, and I found one just outside the kitchen door, under the lawnmower.

Why? That'll just have them running right back into the house! Better to just kill them.