Mice in the basement

Page 4 of 4
(the_blogologist) wrote:

Nope, that's the SECOND thing to do. The FIRST thing to do is to set traps to start killing the ones that are already there, and then go around plugging holes while the traps do their work.
--
Regards,
Ignoramus26157 wrote:

I have a a couple snakes that resides under my house
We do have to be careful when heading out to the backyard . The snakes keeps out of our way , we keep out of their way .
Works for us :)

Same here, but I _would_ prefer they not take after-dinner naps in our silverware drawer -- or bite when evicted, little bastiges! :)
Ignoramus26157 wrote:

Hungry cat.
On Jun 14, 10:16 am, Ignoramus26157 <ignoramus26...@NOSPAM. 26157.invalid> wrote:

I perfer spring traps....baited with peanut butter...placed under the trigger...which the mice do trip.
I always leave spring traps just inside at any likely entry points to the house...and more than one trap per entry point...think of it as a "ring of death" that any mouse has to breach before accessing the interior of the house.
I point out that sealing any entry points is as important as setting the traps....if they can't locate an entry point, they can't spread their filth inside your house.
TMT
Three cats, two Newfies (big dogs) Two of the cats were brothers and would hunt as a pack, one flushing the other killing, then share the meal. These two guys would bring down grey and red squirrels like nothing. The one would go into the edge of the pond to hunt frogs, coming out covered in mud and soaking wet, and proud as hell with a frog half his size. Middle of the day once they brought home an owl they killed. When they first came home we had moles all over the place, with in a year even the neighbors are mole free. The one cat loved the youngest dog, best friends. He would bring the Newfie live mice to play with. One day I hear the kids and my wife talking that the dog has a mouse in his mouth, they could see the tail sticking out. Then I hear a scream that the poor little mouse is alive, followed shortly by the command for the dog to drop it. Like something out of an action movie, me running through the house screaming NOOOOOO! GET THE DOG OUTSIDE FIRST. The look on the dogs face was priceless. He could tell the mouse was alive and didn't know what the hell to do with it.
Best dams cats one could ever hope to have. I'm still waiting to find a deer carcass on the porch one morning.
<snip>

Don't laugh, at my parents farm we had a small herd(pride??) of cats that we swore would eat anything that moved. I saw one once stalk a couple of deer that had come down from the mountain behind the house. Funniest thing to see a 5 lb cat creeping up on a big old buck, it would creep, freeze, creep, freeze until it was about 20 feet away and then the buck actually started pawing and came close to charging it. We figured the cats hunted in packs with a couple on tree limbs and the rest chasing the deer under so they could pounce on it causing it to sumble allowing the rest of the pride to catch up and strip it kinda like land piranna.
Bill

http://gothamist.com/2006/06/10/picture_of_the_4.php
Bob
Hi,
Had the same problem. Used the Victor clip mouse traps with peanut butter, they look like Big paper binder clips. The glue ones also work but can only be used once. The Traditional wire ones are cheap but do not work that well. Most caught in one night was 3 mouses / mice.
The mice kept on turning up though over the next six months. Tried desperately to look for a hole could not find one. Noticed most of the action was in one area of the basement. Eventually found a hole there, or rather a gap in between the wall and a drain vent pipe. The metal cover had come loose and the critters could sneak pass.
To seal up the gap used foam sealer. These are available at Home depot for about $US 7 per can. One can has more than enough. Try and make sure you find all your holes because once started the can is good for about 20 minutes. What happens is the foam starts to set in the plastic feed tube if you do not keep on spraying. So you got to use it up and fill all your holes in one shot.
So far so good ... fingers crossed .....
Best, Mike.

Mice can and will chew through that stuff pretty easily. Mortar is a much better choice.

I've had success before with putting a sheet metal screw into the end of the feed tube when I'm done spraying. Let the stuff set, then grab the screw with a pair of pliers and pull it out -- and a plug of dried-up foam comes with it.
--
Regards,