Mice in the basement

Three cats, two Newfies (big dogs) Two of the cats were brothers and would hunt as a pack, one flushing the other killing, then share the meal. These two guys would bring down grey and red squirrels like nothing. The one would go into the edge of the pond to hunt frogs, coming out covered in mud and soaking wet, and proud as hell with a frog half his size. Middle of the day once they brought home an owl they killed. When they first came home we had moles all over the place, with in a year even the neighbors are mole free. The one cat loved the youngest dog, best friends. He would bring the Newfie live mice to play with. One day I hear the kids and my wife talking that the dog has a mouse in his mouth, they could see the tail sticking out. Then I hear a scream that the poor little mouse is alive, followed shortly by the command for the dog to drop it. Like something out of an action movie, me running through the house screaming NOOOOOO! GET THE DOG OUTSIDE FIRST. The look on the dogs face was priceless. He could tell the mouse was alive and didn't know what the hell to do with it.

Best dams cats one could ever hope to have. I'm still waiting to find a deer carcass on the porch one morning.

Reply to
Peepin1

Mice can and will chew through that stuff pretty easily. Mortar is a much better choice.

I've had success before with putting a sheet metal screw into the end of the feed tube when I'm done spraying. Let the stuff set, then grab the screw with a pair of pliers and pull it out -- and a plug of dried-up foam comes with it.

Reply to
Doug Miller

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

Don't laugh, at my parents farm we had a small herd(pride??) of cats that we swore would eat anything that moved. I saw one once stalk a couple of deer that had come down from the mountain behind the house. Funniest thing to see a 5 lb cat creeping up on a big old buck, it would creep, freeze, creep, freeze until it was about 20 feet away and then the buck actually started pawing and came close to charging it. We figured the cats hunted in packs with a couple on tree limbs and the rest chasing the deer under so they could pounce on it causing it to sumble allowing the rest of the pride to catch up and strip it kinda like land piranna.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

Ok, that curled my toes!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

How small of an opening can they get through, 0.5 inches, 0.25 inches, 0.125 inches?

Reply to
Daniel Prince

FWIW, I was once told that a hole the diameter of a pencil is all they need.

Reply to
EskWIRED

Yes, I've heard that too -- and it's clearly nonsense. Ever seen a mouse skeleton? The skull of an adult mouse won't fit through a hole that small.

Half an inch is believable. Pencil-size is impossible.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Are their skulls rigid?

Reply to
EskWIRED

They wouldn't be much use as skulls if they weren't. :-) Seriously, though, look at a mouse skeleton. Then pick up a pencil and poke a hole in a sheet of paper. Now tell me that skeleton can pass through that hole. Riiiiiiiight.

Reply to
Doug Miller