Mice in the basement

Raisins.
They can lick peanut butter off of the bait pan without springing the trap.
--
Regards,
Get a cat. You don't even have to get one permanently, you can borrow it, lock it up in the basement at night with a limited amount of food and water and let nature take its course. In a week the problem should be solved unless the rodents have an entry point you have not located and neutralized.

Cats just bring them home to play with.
Bob F wrote:

others will kill and eat every rodent that comes by even if you keep catfood out all the time.
The wife and I had one old cat that loved to eat mice, but we'd always find the same particular organ from the mouse innards laying where the cat ate the mouse. Whatever organ it was, the cat didn't like it.
I always opt for cats to control rodents. I live out in the sticks and rodents can be counted on to try to move in every fall, gotta have a good cat.
John
Depends on the cat. Some won't hunt even if you don't feed them, and others will kill and eat every rodent that comes by even if you keep catfood out all the time.
The wife and I had one old cat that loved to eat mice, but we'd always find the same particular organ from the mouse innards laying where the cat ate the mouse. Whatever organ it was, the cat didn't like it.
I always opt for cats to control rodents. I live out in the sticks and rodents can be counted on to try to move in every fall, gotta have a good cat.
John
I have TWO good cats. Both are hunters, the smaller one is the best huntress. She even has captured a few squirrels. I too live out in the sticks, and they keep the rodent population down to almost nothing.
Mine will bring home a critter that is still kicking now and then but if we praise them with "Good Kitty, mighty hunter!" and then tell them to take it outside, surprisingly they do. I think they believe they are offering a gift of food for the family.Mine also leave just that one organ....
Kate O|||||||O

I've heard that before, too. Sounds reasonable.

Mine leaves the kidney. Easy identification: it's about the same shape and color as ... wait for it ... a kidney bean. No kidding.
--
Regards,
I've heard that cats bring home live mice in an attempt to teach us to hunt. They feel sorry for our pathetic, obviously under-developed abilities to snag our own food (or even to recognize freshly caught mice as food, although that apparently doesn't apply to everyone on this NG) and, as they would for kittens, try to help out by bringing prey for us to work with.

How small of an opening can they get through, 0.5 inches, 0.25 inches, 0.125 inches?
--
I don\'t understand why they make gourmet cat foods. I have
known many cats in my life and none of them were gourmets.

FWIW, I was once told that a hole the diameter of a pencil is all they need.
--
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Yes, I've heard that too -- and it's clearly nonsense. Ever seen a mouse skeleton? The skull of an adult mouse won't fit through a hole that small.
Half an inch is believable. Pencil-size is impossible.
--
Regards,

Are their skulls rigid?
--
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

look at a mouse skeleton. Then pick up a pencil and poke a hole in a sheet of paper. Now tell me that skeleton can pass through that hole. Riiiiiiiight.
--
Regards,
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 20:54:12 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Isn't that how one gets kidney beans? By planting mice, or cats?
wrote

wreck and trashed her knee. (thankfully temporarily). However, the entire week or so she was basically bedridden, the old Mama cat of the house, who hadn't noticably hunted in years, brought a freshly killed mouse to the front door every morning. Guess the cat thought my sister needed extra nutrition to heal up, and couldn't hunt for herself.
aem sends...

Winter before last the mice got into my grass seed and I think I had the entire mouse population of the neighborhood feeding in my garage.
I bought two dozen spring loaded mouse traps and baited them with peanut butter then set them around in my garage after cleaning up the remaining grass seeds in there.
The first night I caught 8 mice. I tossed both the mice and the traps. The next night I caught a few more and for the next few night I caught a few more. I put fresh peanut butter on the remaining traps and caught one or two more, than no more mice were caught or seen.
The traps are not very expensive and I certainly would not go through the messy effort to save them.
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 10:16:43 -0500, Ignoramus26157

Put a cat down there. Don't feed it.
Ignoramus26157 wrote:

Cat.
-
Ignoramus26157 wrote:

Think cat. You can even borrow one.
--- begin quote
Towser - Glenturret's [Distillery, Scotland] World Famous Cat
Unfortunately, Towser, the famous Glenturret cat is no longer resident in the still house.
During her long life, Towser broke records with her hunting prowess, notching up 28,899 mice in her 24 years.
She is even immortalised in the Guinness Book of Records. Visitors can now admire her statue, which was unveiled in 1995.
--- end quote
The FIRST thing you should do is go around the outside of your house and plug any hole that a mouse could possibly get through, and mice can get through some pretty tiny holes. Otherwise they'll be back :-/

I'd secure food throughout the house now. Put some traps in the kitchen. More than one type of trap is required to catch the smarter ones.

You may still get a stink if the babies lose their mother. Try not to think about it when you go to bed at night ;-D

Those ultra sonic devices actually work. Although when first using it on an area infested with roaches there can later be a surge after the eggs hatch, which leads some people to think it doesn't work :-/ wont' stop you from carrying pests into your house either. Won't drive the mice out if they can't get out.
I remember this one mouse that was unstoppable. Trap after trap he avoided, yet the signs were there. I knew him. I had seen him! I'd be watching TV in the dark at 2 am and see him scurry across the living room floor and disappear into the central heating vent. Freekin bold little bastard. So one night I waited up for him with the BB gun. He knew something was up as he paused at the den entrance. He then stood on his hind legs just as my mother approached behind him when she saw me with the BB gun. I was unmoved and took the shot. I heard a squeak from the mouse and my mother as the mouse vanished into the shadows, leaving only a tiny trail of blood which led to his writhing corpse on the kitchen closet floor, right next to the cornflakes and Aunt Jemima pancake syrup. His reign of terror was over.