Mice in the basement

Page 1 of 4
We have recently observed mice in the basement. We have a "pantry" down there where there was a lot of food, such as rice etc, which the mice fed on.
We threw out everything that was not in cans. I set up a "mouse cube" type of mouse trap (highly recommended) and it caught one mouse. Kids reported seeing one more mouse afterwards.
My question is how to get rid of them effectively. At this point there is no mouse accessible food left in the basement.
I would prefer not to use poison for two reasons, one is that we have a toddler, and another is that dead mice make big stink (don't ask me how I know). I would prefer to either drive them away, or catch them.
Thanks

Spring-loaded mouse trap baited with a bit of cracker & peanut butter. Yeah...I know...you have to remove the dead mouse, but this method involves no poison and is very effective. Put on a pair of dishwashing gloves when handling the dead mouse, and then wash your glove covered hands with whatever liquid detergent you have around. Keep the toddlers out of the basement until this is over.

Then there is the sticky traps that catch the mouse's feet. Of course then you either have to let the mouse starve or kill him yourself.

Burn off the hair over the stove burner, then deep fry and serve with spicy marinara sauce as a dip, like calamari.
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 16:21:49 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Proper serving is a key. Bamboo skewer up the rectum and out the mouth is the proper way.
Plus you can deep fry them on the skewer by simply dunking em into the hot grease.
Gunner
This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Great theater! Pu pu platter with mice!
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 17:41:59 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Ayup. Some Nuc Mam sauce, some steamed rice with pinapple and some rice wine to wash it all down with...ummmmmummmm...thats some good eating.
Almost as good as the puppy the Jari village chief had the women prepare for me.
Gunner
This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

What wine would you recomend? Are mice white meat or dark?
On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 04:57:13 -0700, "Tom Gardner"

White meat of course. So if you are a big spender..Snake Wine is indicated for the very best.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_wine
Or put a case of Ba mi Ba beer on ice.
Gunner
This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Ok, that curled my toes!

While I was in college, the Advertising Division of the School of Journalism (Where else?) sponsored a contest for the best product line for which to write copy and design graphics.
It was open to anybody, so I submitted "Colonel Nguyen's Saigon Fried Rat."
My entry didn't win, but the campaign one of the students designed did. :)
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 16:21:49 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
I think your mistake was using only one trap. Use lots of them, next to the walls and where you find their scat. Try to figure out their paths and put them where they go.
The spring traps don't wear out, can be reused even if you catch one, and certainly if you don't.
More below.

You have to be careful picking these up. The mouse will stop struggling after a minute or two, so when you get there he may seem dead, but he still has plenty of life and quite a bite. Little jaws, but strong for their size and the teeth are probably sharp. So don't get your fingers there.
I used the boxes from frozen vegetables to pick them up. Kept my fingers away from the mice and very easy to handle after they're scooped up.
You can take the sticky traps outside and release the mouse by pouring vegetable oil on the trap, at least the famous brand whose name I forget and mabye all of the brands, but you'll have to take it far away, much farther than you would think, or it will just come back into your house.

Good with nachos.

Thanks. I do not mind extracting mice from spring loaded traps. (I mentioned them dying from poinson because when poisoned, they tend to die in unaccessible places). I will probably buy a few spring loaded mouse traps in addition to mouse cubes.

Just a thought. You might want to remember that, once the mice figure out that their food supply has disappeared, they will find food somewhere else. They may move upstairs.

there are live mouse traps, trap door, like a havehart trap. work well.
easily released mice outdoors. plus its humane

They don't work worth a damn. Unless you enjoy trapping the same mice over and over and over.

Humane, maybe, but stupid. Release them outdoors, and they're back indoors within hours, if not minutes.
--
Regards,

I am definitely going to kill them. Just a little of gasoline poured into a mouse cube, works well.

Pollutes the air and the groundwater. Just drop the cubes in a bucket of water.
aem sends...
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 15:59:49 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

True indeed. I once used Bingo markers to mark some mice a lady friend had live trapped. She trapped the same group about 5 times over the next week or so. Each time she caught one..she put another big ink dot on each one. I think they finally died of in poisoning....
Gunner
This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)
On Jun 14, 11:59 am, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Thread reminds me time I told wife that I hated to trap and kill the little mice because they were so cute. She said, if I didn't, they'ed overrun the house. Next day I was walking in park during soccer game thinking, those Mexican kids are cute ;)
Frank