Mice

Page 2 of 2
I've recently had my mouse battle, and it looks like round II is about to begin.
Found mouse droppings in the kitchen, could hear them in the wall at night.
Found their food source: Grass seed in the garage. In fact, one of the little bastards ran out of the grass seed bag when I grabbed it.
So first, I got rid of all the seed.
Then I bought some of the electronic gizmos, as well as some catch and release traps.
(Yeah, I'm a pussy, I know - but even though I hate rodents, I don't see any reason to make them suffer - that is - AT THAT TIME I didn't.)
Electronic gizmos didnt work. Catch and release traps didnt work. In fact, the mice decided to make a game of it, and would crawl to the back of the trap, eat all the bait (peanut butter) and move on.
Finally went with the standard old traps. Set up 4 traps in the kitchen, coated the paddles with PB.
Little bastards were VERY good at licking the PB off without setting the trap off..... found this every morning for a week.
So I would laugh, and proclaim loudly: "HA! So, you want to play games, do you, my little mousey friends!!! Very well then, lets play - I've got the time!"
And each day I would rebait the traps.
Over time, the luck ran out for each mouse (2).
But yesterday I saw another mouse outside my house, on my patio.
And as I watched it scurry around - I rubbed my hands together, and laughed: MUAAHHHAHHAHAAHH.
The key word is "CAT"
Cats are generally the best way to get rid of mice (but not rats). They make nice pets too.

The best way to get rid of mice is to plug up the holes they are coming in. Everything else is just controlling the population. A cat is smart enough, (or genetically evolved) not to kill the last mating pair.
Hound Dog wrote:

No info on the electronics but a couple of posters suggested poison. Your neighbors will really appreciate it should you do so, especially outside, so when the critter wanders over to their yard before expiring, their pets can find and eat the toxic corpse.
snipped-for-privacy@ButSoon.com says... :) No info on the electronics but a couple of posters suggested poison. :) Your neighbors will really appreciate it should you do so, especially :) outside, so when the critter wanders over to their yard before expiring, :) their pets can find and eat the toxic corpse. :) :) Before treatment is considered advisable by a vet, the pet would have to consume 5%-10% of it's body weight with the toxin. Worse case scenario, if the rodents fed on nothing but the rodent bait and the pet found the rodents just after stuffing themselves and before relieving the bowels a 10 pound animal would have to totally consume 9-18 rats or 22-44 mice. A 25 pound dog would have to consume 22-45 rats or 56-112 mice. You should have more of a problem with the neighbor not feeding their pets.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS
says...

or a 1-2 lb hawk or owl could expire from a single mouse.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.stratus.com says... :)
:) says...
:) > :) No info on the electronics but a couple of posters suggested poison. :) > :) Your neighbors will really appreciate it should you do so, especially :) > :) outside, so when the critter wanders over to their yard before :) > expiring, :) > :) their pets can find and eat the toxic corpse. :) > Before treatment is considered advisable by a vet, the pet would have to :) > consume 5%-10% of it's body weight with the toxin. Worse case scenario, :) > if the rodents fed on nothing but the rodent bait and the pet found the :) > rodents just after stuffing themselves and before relieving the bowels a :) > 10 pound animal would have to totally consume 9-18 rats or 22-44 mice. A :) > 25 pound dog would have to consume 22-45 rats or 56-112 mice. You should :) > have more of a problem with the neighbor not feeding their pets. :) > -- :) > Lar :) > :) > to email....get rid of the BUGS :) :) or a 1-2 lb hawk or owl could expire from a single mouse. :) I don't have a breakdown on what the secondary poisoning possibilities to raptors may be, so to be safe I would make your neighbor aware you are baiting and they should keep their pet hawk or owl indoors a few days.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS
says...

the internet is a big place. the OP doesn't specify where they are. in my neighborhood, there are at least 3 nesting eagles, a lot of hawks, and too many owls to count. many large cities have nesting falcons and hawks in and around tall buildings.