Meteor Shower tonight

I'm taking a break from the repairing. Supposed to be twice as many as normal. The story is that the best time is after midnight, after the moon goes down. Best way is to lie flat on a lawn chair with a nice tall drink in one hand, face the northeast and look about 2/3 of the way up.
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/08/10/489491194/this-years-pe rseid-meteor-shower-is-going-to-be-quite-a-show-heres-how-to-watch
Or watch the live streem....
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nasa-msfc
On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 1:26:57 PM UTC-4, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

oes down. Best way is to lie flat on a lawn chair with a nice tall drink in one hand, face the northeast and look about 2/3 of the way up.

When my now-adult kids were young I used to wake them up and take them down this long dirt road that dead-ended at a golf course. There were no lights anywhere around. We'd lay out the blankets, take the snacks and drinks out of the car and watch the show.
Thanks for bringing up some great memories!
On 08/11/2016 1:42 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote: ...

When I was young, the horizon around the house was totally dark except for the direction towards town and the Milk Way was clearly visible. Now the light pollution is such its rare to be able to pick out more than just the faintest trace....most of the population in the US today has never seen it, probably don't even know it exists... :(

On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 2:53:15 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

My daughter used to go to school in Plattsburgh, NY. She used to go camping near Tupper Lake and Twin Valleys. It's really dark there. There's a public observatory in Tupper Lake.
The Twin Valleys camp is associated with the school and has an internet hook-up back to the campus so the students can view the night sky as part of the Expeditionary Studies program.
As John Hartford used to say "It's darker than the inside of a cow."

Sorry folks. Big disappointment here. I fell for the old "best shower in decades" trick.
On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 2:43:03 PM UTC-6, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
===
On 8/11/2016 11:25 AM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

Park them cars in a grage or shelter meteors caus worster damage than hale and most insurance don't cover meteors check youre roof for damage tomorrow