Metal shingles

Hi, My house has them. German made ceramic coated rolled steel, tile looking product with 50 year transferable warranty. Cost almost 3 times but I don't need to worry about leak any more in my life time. I passed concrete tile due to concern for weight and cracks when hail strom hits. They installed lattice using 1x6 and 2x2, every piece is screwed down. ridge venting. two man crew took about 10 days from start to finish. remove old wood shake, lattice install, cut ridge vent, screwing down all the pieces. It is tested, proven hurricane proof in Florida.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Anyone have experience installing these? Without knowing anything more than this, they sounds like a good alternative to tile.

Reply to
Guv Bob

more than this, they sounds like a good alternative to tile.

Thanks, TH. Guess I'll have to wait til I win the lottery then. My first choice it wood shakes, like original house but they are not permitted here (S Calif) any longer for new roofs. Lasted 40+ years. Every year for the last 10 years I walked the roof and replaced a 1/2 bundle or fewer each time. But they're all getting worn now plus termites are eating them around the edges.

Reply to
Guv Bob

Wouldn't you really want a fireproof roof?

Reply to
hrhofmann

Hi, Up here shake business almost became extinct after State of Cal. banned them. Here it is same now, only fire retardant applied shakes are allowed. Still I can walk on my roof with little care. Old aged cedar shakes are rare now because old trees are depleted. Shakes from younger trees don't last long regardless whether they are hand split or not. Only shake roof is on our dog house. They stay cool and warm with season change, LOL!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

more than this, they sounds like a good alternative to tile.

My first choice it wood shakes, like original house but they are not permitted here (S Calif) any longer for new roofs. Lasted 40+ years. Every year for the last 10 years I walked the roof and replaced a 1/2 bundle or fewer each time. But they're all getting worn now plus termites are eating them around the edges.

Your dogs have it good!

Reply to
Guv Bob

On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 07:50:52 -0800, "Guv Bob" wrote in

They work very well, but are very expensive.

Reply to
VinnyB

I was in Germany at New Year's.

Apparently every citizen considers it part of their social responsibility to shoot off fireworks rockets at midnight.

Good thing all the houses have those red clay tile roofs.

Reply to
TimR

These guys started making Al (or Cu but you need deep pockets for those) "shakes" as a sideline to their sprinkler business to keep busy during slower winter months.

I've not used them; considered them for the barn redo, but decided to keep the original period-nature instead. They're quite a bit less than most of the alternative "metal shingle" solutions I've seen; think they're about $250/sq at the moment...

Reply to
dpb

Thanks, I like their comparison chart for various materials. Time frames look about right compared with this neighborhood - built in the early 60's. Several wood shake roofs like mine still around. Neighbor who replaced with asphalt about 15 years ago just replaced again this week -- seems odd to me but could be other issues with that one.

Reply to
Guv Bob