metal screws?, replacement for today's crap duc tape?

Page 1 of 2
The duc tape they sell today is crap. So, I was wondering, after the second failure downstairs on the dryer, ... has anyone use machine screws to connect light AL exhaust ducting? The only down side could see would be perhaps the lint gathering on the screw inside the duct and causing a problem.
(Yes, I know the old rubberized stuff is still available on line. I used to repair my down jackets with it :-)
They do make a clamp for your project, I have one an it has been trouble free for two years.
Searcher
tec screws work the gorilla glue folks make decent duct tape werwer wrote:

Or maybe try the metal tape? Tom snipped-for-privacy@localnet.com wrote:

werwer wrote:

Don't use screws, the points collect lint. It is a fire hazard.
Don't use duct tape, use the special aluminum skinned tape made for ducts. Duct take is NOT made for that use. The right take will cost more and will have a peel off paper over the adhesive.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

That IS duct tape.

You are getting duct and "duc" tape mixed up. The grey cloth stuff is "duc" tape and not used on ducts.
Noozer wrote:

I'd be interested in seeing a source for that information.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Definitely not when used on heating ducts. Others are right, use the aluminum type. Once on it is there for the ages.
Harry K
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

No, a source for the nomenclature "duc" tape as being different from "duct" tape.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
J. Clarke wrote:

Typically foil tape is used on ducts. That cloth "duck tape" is just a "economy" product sold for some reason (maybe to have a cheep product for the big box stores).
George wrote:

?? "Duck Tape" is Henkel's (parent company of Lepages and Loctite among others) brand name for their industrial tape products. 3M also makes a range of fabric tapes as do others. It's sold because (a) it meets various specifications and (b) because it is very useful stuff to have around.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Noozer wrote:

Well yes, but it is a specific duct tape and now what most people mean or think of when the term duct tape is used.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productList&N=0&Ntk=i_products&Ntt=tape I don't know if the link will work, but if it does the second and thirdtape is the stuff to use. I have not seen the special variety for flex duct. Interesting.>>> Duct take is NOT made for that use. The right take will cost more>> and will have a peel off paper over the adhesive.>> You are getting duct and "duc" tape mixed up. The grey cloth stuff is> "duc" tape and not used on ducts.--Joseph MeehanDia duit
Noozer wrote:

The gray cloth stuff is duct insulators tape or duct tape for short. Its original use was to hold the cloth coverings over fiber insulation in place while they were sewn. It was cloth tape so you could sew right through it.
--
Tom Horne

Member, Takoma Park Volunteer Fire Department wrote:

Its _original_ use was to seal ammunition cans in WWII. It came into use to seal ductwork later.
The Home Depot stuff is crap by the way, to understand duct tape you really need to get hold of some of the military issue variety.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
werwer wrote:

You are not supposed to use screws for the reason you mentioned. Duct tape isn't used for ducts - it doesn't last. Buy a roll of the aluminum foil tape - it's stronger, has better adhesive and it lasts. http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarestore.com/50-279-foil-and-hvac-tape/aluminum-foil-tape-280313.aspx The big box store carries the stuff as will most hardware stores.

Try using the PROPER tape... DUC tape is *NOT* duct tape...
Use aluminum DUCT tape.

They will collect crap and should be avoided if possible.
Use the round clamps they sell. Note that the Whirlpool dryers and Kenmores made by whirpool have a very short snout to attach the clamp to but it is possible to do it securely if you locate the locking screw mechanism to the bottom of the duct. Why whirlpool uses such a short pipe is beyond me. Maytag gives you several inches to attach the duct to.

Trying to line up a pipe behind the dryer with the one in the was is difficult.
I don't see why someone can't invent another method.
I've seen some dryers where you can move the output to the side instead of the rear. Still not the best method, but easier to hook up.

Reading your post reminded me that I had come across a product that purports to solve this problem:
http://www.wired-2-shop.com/joneakes/ProductDetail.asp?ProdIDH&nPrdImageID=&CatID
I haven't tried it myself.