Metal Roofing Guillotine (shear)

I here talk of cutting metal roofing panels with a guillotine. Is this a special design that has the panel profile cut into the stationary portion of the machine (to support the ridges, etc) or do they just mean a regular sheet-metal shear?
Dave
On 28 Oct 2005 12:42:16 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I haven't heard anything about this, but I'm certain the backing of the sheet would be the same shape as the line to be cut. Otherwise there will be metal distortion, no matter how sharp or fast the guillotine is.
Aiui, they sometimes use a guillotine to cut wood also, or they used to. It saves the amount that would be lost as sawdust if cut by a saw.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Sure they exist. Both manual and hydraulic shears. The base plate has different templates for different profiles which can be changed out easily. The hydraulic ones can cut several sheets at a time.
The ones that I have seen will do only square cuts. You cannot cut on an angle. The last one that I saw for sale was a manual machine for 2,000 bucks, used. Never priced the hydraulic ones.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.