Metal roof over shingles

Is it possible to install a metal roof over one layer of asphalt shingles?
Thanks
Sure.

Curmudgeon wrote:

one layer of shingles. our was put down over ice guard material for metal shingles.
Wegge wrote:>Is it possible to install a metal roof over one layer of asphalt shingles?
Sure, it's possible. Not recommended, though. Tom Someday, it'll all be over....
<< Is it possible to install a metal roof over one layer of asphalt shingles?
Quite possible, but not necessarily desireable. Have you discussed it with an installer or manufacturer? That should be your first step HTH
Joe
Sure go ahead, but you are re- roofing because its bad right. How will you know if you havnt left any rotted wood behind. No you cant see all of it from inside.
(wegge) says...

Sure, but the shingle ridges may print through the metal, particularly if the metal is very light gauge. You might consider a layer of 3/8" foam-core to prevent the problem.
--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

Anything's "possible" I guess, but in my recent experience, I was advised by every contract estimator to have the shingles removed, and one said he could not honor his 30 yr warranty if I insisted on doing it that way. The most convincing arguements, to me, were: -- Replacing rotted, wet, molded, dry-rotted or unfastened (due to freeze/heat seasons) wood would never be something you could be sure of. -- Likely some shingle bleed-thru would be visible under the steel, esp along the overlapping edges because of the double-strength there and not elsewhere in the panels. -- Compressibility of the shingle materials could result in loosening fasterners (n ail-screws) over time. It might also make the roof noisy at sunrise/sunsets (you tell me why & we'll both know).
No idea whether it's a climate thing or not - we go well subzero in the winter & up to 100's in summer, with very wet springs & falls. I love the sound of rain on metal, hate having to keep up the lightning rods etc, & snow/ice sure slides off it well. But, we ended up with shingles. Cheaper. Go figure. I wanted a sky-blue metal roof - didn't get it - that color looked awful in shingels <g>.
Pop