metal electric outlet box cover

I am remodeling my kitchen and am planning on putting in a in-floor heating mat with a programmable thermostat. The instructions for the mat said to install a 4" square outlet box and run condit down to the floor, which I did. I susepect the 4" square box's size is needed to support the cabling and the cutout for the conduit feed.. My question comes from the fact that the thermostat looks this fit on a one-gang outleb box. what covers the 4" square metal box that allows for the thermostat to secure to it as a one-gang box. Also, is there decorative face plates for a 4" box?

Rob

Reply to
rlz

You can get all sorts of covers for a 4" box with a single opening in the center, AKA 2 gang center mount.

They make them for toggle switches, GFCI and duplicate receptacles.

Another option is to use a blank cover and make your own opening.

I found this site via Google...

Look here for metal:

Start here for wood. Click any species and you'll see that they come in loads of configurations, including 2 gang center mount.

DerbyDad03

What you want is a 4" square "bang on" box. you nail it to the side of a stud, flush with the stud. In your case, you want a 4" square to single gang reducing cover. These reducers come in a variety of depths. If you're using

1/2" sheetrock, you get the reducing cover with a 1/2" raise. The line voltage thermostat will attach to the reducing cover, which screws to the box
Reply to
RBM

*You need a one gang or single gang mud ring or device ring or a tile ring for a device. Home Depot and Lowes sells them as does any electrical supply company. You need to match the depth of the ring to the thickness of the finished wall. I find that the next 1/8" depth is best. For instance if you have a finished wall of 1/2" thickness, use a 5/8" mud ring.
You would just use standard wall plates.
Reply to
John Grabowski

You suspect? Haven't you read the instructions to the end yet? :)

There are blank face plates, iirc in 3 or 4 plain finishes.

I think there are squarish boxes that are "round boxes" with squarish corners, and there are 2-gang boxes for two switches, etc. side by side. Could it be you're looking at the wrong one?

Reply to
mm