Metal Building Receptacles

Looking for a link with pictures of receptacles installed in a metal building (workshop).

Or if anyone has some digital pictures of their setup, please share...

Thanks,

Reply to
Ray

You are looking for either conduit pipe or Bx Cable (Shielded cable) connected to Plastic or non-conductive electrical boxes, stuff you can get at almost any hardware store. What exactly is the problem? if you use conduit it will be more time consuming but probably a nicer job, if you us Bx Cable you also need to buy the plastic little pieces that go into the ends after you unshield it.

DOES THIS MAKE SENSE?

Reply to
HotRod

One of our warehouses is a metal building. All electrical is run in steel conduit and boxes and everything is surface mounted. Pretty? No. Practical? Very

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Last shop I did we ran wire mold at 5 feet above the floor around all of the walls. The owner placed his equipment and we installed the correct electrical connection.

Reply to
SQLit

What are the walls made of. If it is just the metal building outside skin, you will have a difficult time keeping the building waterproof when you install fasteners. One method would be to mount all electrical on Unistrut spanning from column to column. Assuming this is not the case, it now depends on how you made the inside walls. Interior steel liner panels would lend themselves to surface mounted EMT. Wood or steel studs with wafer board or other interior finish lends itself to about the same installation that would be used in a residential install. (top posted for your convenience) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Reply to
DanG

I intend to run plastic conduit, my problem is I just don't know if to install the receptacles on top of the "girts" (shaped as "Zees") or under the girts or some other way. I would like for it to look nice when I'm finished.

Reply to
Ray

The building is metal framed, metal skinned. What is Unistrut ?? Is that like perforated channel ?? I'd like to run the receptacles neatly in plastic conduit . My dilema is wether to mount to the top of the girts, under the girts or place plywood along the inside walls and recess the receptacles into this wood.

I was hoping to see pictures of already installed receptacles in metal buildings to choose with route to go.

Reply to
Ray

Normally the receptacles and switches would be installed on the "inside surface" of the vertical beams in the building.

Reply to
HotRod

Thanks for the comeback ! So If I understand you correctly, the receptacle would be mounted in the hollow of the "Cee" which in my case are the vertical beams (columns).

The openings of my columns run parallel with the wall panels. The receptacle would be pointed parallel with the wall panel and not towards the work area ??? I could mount on the outside surface of the columns and orientate them to point towards the work area.

Is that copestetic or do I have goobly gob columns ??

Ray

Reply to
Ray