Metal buckets with covers?

Page 1 of 2
I need to buy a metal bucket (galvanized) with a cover. I will use it in conjunction with a fishtank water heater as a water filled source of radiant heat for a chicken coop for this coming winter. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find any store that sells them, everyone now sells plastic buckets.
The reason why I want to buy galvanized is threefold:
1) it conducts heat better 2) it can be painted black (I assume plastic buckets are not paintable) to radiate better 3) It can be better grounded, being metallic.
So, where can I buy one? It does not have to have the shape of a bucket, it can be rectangularly shaped or whatever, but it requires a cover.
I also own a metal "jerry can" for gasoline, but I am afraid that it will simply rust through as it is not galvanized inside. I am afraid to fill it with any kind of oil for safety reasons.
I am not dirt poor and I can spend $10 on a bucket.
I am aware that the alternative solution is an oil filled radiator heater for small rooms. The problem with them is that their thermostats are graduated starting with 50-60 degrees or so, and I want a lower setting, just to keep the coop above freezing.

Not an issue. All heat generated by the fishtank water heater will of course reach the outside. (Conservation of energy laws. The higher thermal conductivity of a metal bucket over a plastic bucket drops out of the equations in the steady-state solution, as one would expect.)

_Definitely_ not an issue.

The immersible water heater is already grounded. Fish tanks are made of plastic or glass and don't cause problems, so why should a plastic bucket?
--Tim May

You did not think hard enough about it.
A fishtank water heater has a thermostat. It turns off when it heats water sufficiently. (and that is the way I want it, I do not want the water to get too dangerously hot as it would evaporate too fast and may injuret he chicken). If there is not enough heat conducted and radiated away, the thermostat will shut off periodically and the coop will stay cold because there is less heat per minute that is transferred to the coop.
Having a bucket that radiates and conducts heat more efficiently will shorten the periods when the thermostat is turned off.

Maybe that is actually correct. I am just being paranoid, as I read that chicken are very susceptible to even low voltage electrical leaks. Whereas I can easily survive a typical 110V jolt, a chicken may die from much lower voltage. Yes, fishtank thermostats are insulated (not grounded), but insulation can deteriorate.
ignoramus12377@NOSPAM.12377.invalid (Ignoramus12377) writes:

I have one that I use for an ash scuttle. It is really handy for that. I can just scoop hot ashes into it, put the cover on and set it outside to cool for a few days. The cover keeps the ashes from getting rained on, so they stay dry for disposal.
I bought it at Bi-Mart, a small PNW membership discount store headquartered in Eugene, Oregon. It is about 3-4 gallons, with a loose fitting galvanized lid and bail handle. I have seen them in stock every winter, so I know they are in production, and seem to be a popular item. I also seem to remember seeing them at Coastal Farm Supply. I think you would have a pretty good chance of finding one any place that sells a good selection of galvanized tubs and buckets.
Farm stores are your best bet, or if you live in the PNW, just go to Bi- Mart. The problem is that I have the impression they are seasonal merchandise for some reason, and you may have to wait a few months for the inventory to change.
--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

I do not live in PNW.
Thanks. I will ask around.

On 13 Aug 2003 15:03:40 GMT, Ignoramus12377

Trying to heat a chickenhouse with a fishtank water heater is like trying to heat your house with a kerosene lamp.

IPlastic will be a better electrical insulator. It's what they make electrical tape out of these days. The color of the bucket should have little or no impact on the rate of heat transfer. You can get plastic buckets in a variety of colors. The two leading colors are black and white.

Tried Home Depot or Lowes or the local hardware store? Hell, call a house painter or a building contractor, he will probably give you all that you want in whatever color that you want..

Decisions are almost never binary. There are quite a few ways to heat a chicken coop other than the ones listed. Frankly, I have serious doubts about heating a chicken coop with a fish tank heater anyway.
On 13 Aug 2003 17:43:16 GMT, Ignoramus12377

Down here, we don't heat chicken coops. However, it sounds like a lighbulb in a paint can that was suspended from the ceiling would work pretty good. That's all we use to heat uninsulated well houses down here (without the paint can of course).

If that's the way that you want to go. Call a building contractor though if you have your heart set on a metal can. A lot of building materials come in 5 gal metal cans and it's trash to them. If it were me and I was going that route, I think I'd prefer the plastic ones though.

A pile of sawdust under the coop, adding buckets of water or cement blocks, a small electric space heater with a modified thermostat, a light bulb in a paint can,

Call someone in your area with a well and find out how they keep the well house from freezing. Whatever method that is will probably be your best bet because they are looking for the same thing that you are and experience has given them the best solution.
Ignoramus12377 wrote:

Chickens are not THAT stupid. You're talking about a 3'x3'x3' space.
Put a light-bulb in the space.

Chickens are EXTREMELY stupid. lol
Have a nice week...
Trent
Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !

My coop is only 3x4 feet, there is no place to mount out of reach stuff low.
Anyway, someone mentioned a thermo cube, it is just what I need and in conjunction with some safe heating element, it will work great.
well if you got to heat um birds an incandesent bulb of 100 watts produces 90 watts heat and 10 watts light.... take kwh cost and go figure...... I say EAT EM now !!!!

Well, if they didn't have a death wish they purchase a pump house heater. They come in 120 or 240 volt versions and have a thermostat that cuts in just above freezing.

The chicken won't like that. She'll think the sun has never gone down...and she won't lay eggs...or as many.
Have a nice week...
Trent
Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !
On 13 Aug 2003 18:11:01 GMT, Ignoramus12377

Its a good idea if you don't want Winter eggs.
Why not teach the chicken how to turn off the lite? But then, you'll need a nite lite for her...so's she doesn't bust her ass gettin' back into the nest. lol
Wait...maybe you can get her a Clapper! Cackle once...lights on. Cackle twice...lights off.
Have a nice week...
Trent
Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !

Plus...fishtank heaters are not designed to be the primary heat source for the tank. They're designed to supplement the heat provided within the room. They're not designed for continuous operation.
Have a nice week...
Trent
Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !

Not even THAT good! lol
That chicken's gonna be shittin' razor blades before the Winter's over! lol
Have a nice week...
Trent
Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !

Did it include people in the north of the US?

You _really_ need to learn how to use Google. Though I said I wouldn't, I did some Googling on the issue and found scads of good sites and good information.
You are reinventing the wheel, except with some cock-eyed notions about physics thrown in.
Use Google, for all of your varius questions here, about oyster shells, feed stores, chicken coop heaters, metal buckets, etc.
--Tim May
(snip)

Some people are staying away from Google. They prefer other search engines which don't do as much spying on them. Anyone who thinks there is some good in everyone hasn't interviewed enough people.
Eastman's Personnel Director's Law
On 13 Aug 2003 17:38:07 GMT, Ignoramus12377

Yep, there are people from all over the country posting on that forum. That particular forum is at www.guineafowl.com, and they talk about guineas and other poultry there.